[1] Ponytail But to No Avail

"Hiyori, do you have someone you like?"

I paused, still processing my friend's words. "Someone...I like?"

My other friend piped up. "Yeah, someone you have an interest in."

Pursing my lips together in deep thought, my mind laced through all the people who could possibly be of my interest.

"Hm....Actually, I don't think there is anyone." I said truthfully.

Both girls sighed.

"Neh, Hiyori, we really need to find someone for you."

I glanced at my friends. "What about you two? Honestly, I don't really care to find someone. At least, not right now."

"Hiyori...."

Ignoring Yama and Ami, I decided to increase the speed of my walk, going in front of them.

"It's only natural at this age!" Yama shouted.

I twisted my head back to look at the two girls. "Well, maybe I just want to focus on my school work and not get caught up in a distracti—"

A shoulder bumped roughly into mine, causing my body to loose balance. Everything seemed to go in slow motion as I hit the ground, hard.

"Ooof—a-ah...." My eyes shot up at the victim. His dark raven hair was pulled up into a ponytail, his bangs shielding his eye as he looked down on me. The one that I can see, a bright blue. "W-wha-?"

He grimaced. "Watch where you're going."

My eyebrows furrowed at his tone. "Eh?! How about you watch where you are going?" I sneered.

He narrowed his eyes, his frown seeming to deepen. "I don't have time for this." With that, he leaves, without even taking a second glance back at me. I was left dumbfounded.

That jerk.

"Hiyori! Are you okay?"

Turning my head, I found my friends whom seemed to tower over me as they came near.

"That guy was a jerk." Yama said.

I couldn't agree more.

"Just don't mind him. He's like that to everyone."

At the sound of a definitely not feminine voice, my eyes scanned along the halls until they landed on a boy who looked a little younger than me. His hair was blonde and messy, but in a cute way. What caught my attention the most was his eyes. They were really pretty. The color of amber.

"Your eyes are really pretty." I blurted out. My eyes widened at my bluntness.

The boy's cheeks flushed, but he didn't say anything.

Ami touched my shoulder lightly. "We're gonna head to class. See you there?"

I nodded, my eyes still on the boy before me wearily. "Um, sure."

Once they left, I finally decided to speak. "So, uh, do you know him?"

The blonde boy gazed back into my direction, his amber eyes slightly darkening. "Yeah, you could say that."

Oh. Okay?

"What's that guy's name? Not that I care or anything but—"

"Everyone calls him Yato. But no one knows his real name." He said, cutting me off.

"Oh."

Yato....Where have I heard that name before?

He shrugged, digging his hands into his pockets even further. "Yeah. Well, my name is Yukine—in case you were wondering. You probably weren't, though."