A normal day, but not quite...

Lily Parker lived in a perfectly ordinary house, with perfectly ordinary people, in a perfectly ordinary town.
And she was perfectly ordinary like everyone and everything else in her life. Only, she didn't see things from an ordinary perspective. In fact quite the opposite. She saw things not as they were but how they could be, and often her imagination got the better of her. She dreamed of a world of fantasy that could only be entered in her harsh reality by reading one of her many books. If only she could escape into one, into the pages where dragons roamed and sorcerers ruled. But, she couldn't. Life continued as it always did, at its slow pace.

"Lily! Get down here right now!"
"Yeah, okay mum," Lily replied to her mother's scream. She slowly closed the book that she was reading, stood up and looked around. Her room was reasonably small and only held a wardrobe, chest of drawers, bed and desk. Dotted around the lilac walls were many drawings that Lily had passed her time with. Each of them contained something magical; dragons, unicorns, fairies, but mostly dragons. Dragons were her favourite things of all, such majesty seemed to hold itself within them.
"LILY!" Her mum yelled again.
"Sorry mum, lost in thought!" Lily shouted back down the stairs. She carefully opened and closed her bedroom door and wandered down the stairs to the kitchen. A breakfast of pancakes with bacon and maple syrup lay on the table just begging to be eaten.

"Lily, see you later! Love you sweetheart!" Her mum called after her, as Lily threw her bag over her shoulder and ran off, blonde hair blowing behind her and blue eyes sparkling.

It was only a short run to get to school, though when Lily reached the front door she was panting slightly.
"Lily, Lily! Over here!" A girl, with mid-length ginger hair, pale skin dusted with freckles and bright green eyes, called her over, waving frantically. Lily looked over with a giggle at her over-excited friend.
"I'm coming Kate, wait just a minute!" Lily smiled exhaustedly.
"Have we got the same lessons today?" Kate questioned curiously, pulling out her battered timetable.
"No, only one out of the five lessons, we have together," She answered her own question.
After that, the girls went their separate ways. Lily to a double lesson on English literature, and Kate to Physics.

"So what is a metaphor? Anybody? How about you Lily?" The teacher said promptly.
Lily was gazing out the window imagining flying through the sky on 'her dragon'. This dragon was her favourite one she'd ever drawn. He was the colour of the night sky and his wings were scattered with white dots so he looked like a galaxy. And that was what she'd named him, Galaxy....
"Miss Parker! Pay attention please! What is a metaphor?"
"Hmm, Galaxy...dragon, hmm?"
The class sniggered as a bit of drool ran down Lily's chin onto the desk.
"Lily, detention!" The teacher yelled, handing the now wide awake Lily a red slip.

After school Lily said her goodbyes to Kate and slowly walked off to the detention room. There was only her there that night. The teacher handed her some paperwork and told her to get a move on. As the time ticked sluggishly by, Lily heard a tap on the window. At first she thought it was a mistake and that she was just really tired, but then it sounded again. A rapping sound like claws on glass. The teacher didn't seem to notice despite how loud it was. Lily looked up and saw something she thought she'd never see. A golden dragon, roughly the size of a small cat, was nudging the window with the tiny silver horn that topped it's long snout. Held gently in it's front claws was a scroll made of heavy parchment. Lily stood up and told the teacher she needed some fresh air. The teacher (who still didn't seem to notice the small flying reptile at her window) let Lily head over to the window to let the little dragon in.

When the window was open the dragon flew in, dropped the parchment on the floor and flapped back out again all within the blink of an eye. Pretending to be sharpening her pencil, Lily leaned down and picked the scroll up from the floor. She opened it carefully and began to read...

Dear Miss Parker...