Prolouge

The cold winter breeze brushed past Taeyeon's skin making her shiver a little. She crossed her arms for some warmth as she made her way towards the little  staring out the window. "Hey there, buddy. What's you name?" She asked, giving him the best smile she could.

Nothing. All he did was turn the away from her. Kids sure don't like you, Taeyeon. She followed his gaze out the big glass window, then looked back at his empty gaze, wondering if she should start a conversation about the autumn leaves falling, or the careless breeze dragging them away from their trees— anything that would maybe get him to speak up.

But Taeyeon decided not to, anxious that she'd somehow end up say something he couldn't take in. She sighed and got up to go back to her job when a little hand weakly pulled her sleeve. "Do you know... do you know when mommy's coming back?"

At that moment, Taeyeon's heart that had been sewed and taped together fell back to small pieces yet again. She opened her mouth to speak but there were no words- only two knowing pair of eyes staring at each other. Taeyeon knew there was no truth that could comfort him right now, but lies and false hopes would hurt even more later.

Taeyeon was never good at comforting people, yet alone kids that were on the verge of tears, but when her arms naturally wrapped around the small boy, she realised that when words were too heavy, hugs were enough.

Normally, she wouldn't have let her emotions take over her.

But this case was special. This one opened old wounds, brought back all the painful memories she had tried to forget so badly. The moment she saw the little guy come in she had a feeling- she knew. It was a moment of deja vu.

As she looked at him sitting there, and he looked so lonely, so small and insignificant next to the giant glass windows flaunting the start of autumn outside.
It reminded Taeyeon of herself, a young and naive girl surrounded by faces she had never seen before, wishing so damn hard to see the faces she'd been longing for since days. Yet, like him too, the little girl was completely aware of everything that was going on, even the fact that the people she'd been wanting to see and hold once again were no longer there.

It was not like she did not think of these memories or tried to bury it- it was what had shaped her as a person and Taeyeon had accepted her fate long ago. But for reason no matter how many times she told herself she was better now, it would always come back to her, gnawing at her to stop her from ever letting go. This time, it was even worse.

She remembered sitting down on an empty bench and biting her lips to not cry because daddy used to tell her that "each tear that falls from my baby girl's eye take away a little big of life from me." And hurting her father would be the last thing she'd want at that time.

Her parents passed away in front of her own two eyes. The case wasn't even investigated properly, she still remembers how the policemen asked her to go home and stop bothering them back then just because she was a kid, a helpless kid without any power.

Taeyeon grew up in an orphanage, and on top of that, a conservative all-girls orphanage where they limited her access to activities 'not for women'. As lovely as the some of her friends were, she knew she would never be able to fully grow if she had stayed there.

So at the age of 16, she ran away. An runaway orphan in the big city of Seoul, and so-called helplines were not even really helpful back then. Alone, working day and night to support herself, Taeyeon did not even have the thought of making friends. It was only after she had finally got the job as a detective that she got to properly look over her parent's case, only to find out then that she had even been abandoned by her relative who claimed all her rightful properties and threw her at the orphanage.

She knew she had a difficult life, but even after all of that Taeyeon had been trying to live her life in the fullest, to stay strong to her morals and stay. So when fate decided to play with her and threw his case on her lap, her head was full of questions- why now? Why me?

"Taeyeon? If you're done, let the kid go with Nick, he'll take him to the orphanage." The commissioner commanded. She took off her blue cardigan and gave it to the boy, a part of her afraid the orphanage would not give him clothes warm enough.

"What does he say?"

"He admitted it." Jonghyun told her.

They made their way towards the cell with no more words.

"Hey punk." Taeyeon called out as she entered the grey prison cell where she saw the culprit, handcuffed and fresh scars on his shoulders and legs.

"I'm sure you heard me the first time- look up and start talking." There was no response. He didn't bother, and Taeyeon was definitely not a patient detective who had the time to this silent game. "Listen, we both don't want each other here so for your own sake, speak."

But nothing came.

"That's it--"

"I killed her." He mumbled, but loud enough for her to hear. "You want to know why?

He finally looked up, and his brown orbs stared back at Taeyeon's. With a teasing smirk, he continued. "Why do you think I killed her? People like us... do you think we need a reason to kill?"

No words were spoken as she let silence answer him. "It's already the second time I'm admitting it, why won't you believe me? Miss.." He leaned closer towards the light and read her nametag. "Kim Taeyeon."

"Do not speak of death so easily." Taeyeon's voice was cold. It was so cold that Jonghyun, behind her, shivered, yet he almost laughed at how serious she was being at that moment.

"Let's get this over with. I don't like repeating my words, nor do I like entertaining people." He glanced at Jonghyun quickly but long enough for him to see. "Anyway, it's no use taking my case, Kim Taeyeon."

"I don't remember saying that I would."

"You will, Taeyeon, you will."

"And what makes you think so?"

"Well, you wouldn't want to miss out such a hot guy like me, now would you?" He let out a small laugh.

Taeyeon knew better than to act shy, she knew how to deal with men with high ego, so she went closer to him, their faces only inches apart, "I sure won't."

And because that one single line, a little hope grew in Baekhyun.

Kim Taeyeon, be safe.

Name: Byun Baekhyun
Code no: 904
Crime: illegal business, murder.
Imprisonment record: twice

-------