Chapter One

David doesn't have much in the way of very early childhood memories. He's ten and a half years old now, proud of the fact, and he wants to know everything, broaden his horizons with facts and stories and experiences and venture off the farm he's grown up on to do it. One of the things he desperately wants to know is what he was like when he was really little, back when he was learning to walk and talk, and his memories so far have disappointed him. He's got some more recent ones, sure, going back to when he was about five, but anything before that is a curious blank except for flashes every now and then.

He wants to know. He might die if he doesn't find out. So he does the logical thing, turning to the group of people who were around when he started walking and talking and even before that: his brothers.

It's handy that all of his brothers are home, for once, celebrating their mother's birthday. David's three oldest brothers as well as his only two sisters have all "left the nest" (whatever that means), but they're at home and it's good because David needs their insight and memories to make up for the gaps in his own. Abinadab's the third oldest, and he's the first one David encounters on his search. Well, David actually runs into him when he gets to the bottom of the stairs, but Abinadab is taller than he is (not for long, David's thoughts say as he stumbles back, like thinking it can make it so) and two big hands land on David's shoulders to keep him steady.

"Whoa there, baby boy," Abinadab says. "What's up?"

"I'm not a baby," David replies, "I'm ten. And a half."

"When'd you turn ten?" Abinadab's shock isn't fake.

"Half a year ago." If Abinadab were using his brain and listening instead of trying to figure out if he accidentally hurt David, he'd see that. 

"Lordy."

Abinadab says that under his breath; David figures he wasn't meant to hear it, so he ignores it. "Abinadab, what was I like when I was little?"

Abinadab's brow wrinkles. "What?"

"What was I like when I was little?" David repeats. "Like, d'ya have any memories of me?"

"How little?"

"Really little."

Abinadab's twelve years older than David, which means that he was twelve when David was born. He's gotta have some memories, because David's already remembering a lot at ten and a half and if ten and a half year olds remember a lot how much do twelve year olds remember?

"Well," Abinadab says, "you were...little?"

"What's your favourite memory of me?" David prompts, trying really really hard not to let his disappointment show. He probably should've been prepared for disappointment; out of all his brothers, Abinadab is not the story teller.

But then David's older brother smiles suddenly, big and wide and almost terrifying. A laugh jumps out of his chest and David startles at the sound. "Oh, that's easy," Abinadab says. "One time, Mom and Dad were out and so us older ones had to look after everyone. Eliab went to change your diaper, and you peed on him."

"Why are we talking about that?" a voice from the kitchen, Eliab's, groans loudly, and David and Abinadab both look around the corner to see their oldest brother huddled at the table over some paperwork. Abinadab snorts. "Because it's funny." 

"For everyone except for me."

"Still funny."

David leaves before Eliab replies, exit unnoticed by his brothers. They're no use to anyone when they get bickering like this.