P r o l o g u e

It was the end of the school year, the day of band concert. I was in middle school at the time, and I was excited to meet the new French Horn player. I played with another girl, Bri, but she wasn't dedicated to music like I was.

My band director, Mrs. Jameson, had told me that there was a junior that was playing the French Horn, and he had never met any others.

I sat down to look over the combined piece we were doing. Once a year, the highschool and middle school bands combined and played one piece together.

"Hi!" I saw an enthusiastic-looking male sit next to me. I smiled in return, "Hi, my name is Thalia," he reached out his hand and grasped mine in greeting.

"I'm Alec, nice to meet you," I turned back to my music, but suddenly shifted my eyes over to Alec. He was still looking at me, seeing what I was doing.

I decided to look for Bri, but she seemed to be busy with her boyfriend Jared. Out of our band director's view, Bri and Jared were having a make-out session.

My stomach churned and I pulled my eyes away, only to meet them with bright green ones. Alec had sandy, blonde hair. He was considerably taller than I, which I noticed when we stood up to let Bri take her seat.

Alec introduced himself to Bri, but didn't seem quite as enthused to meet her. We started the piece, and I could tell that he felt the music, like the notes reverberated from his soul.

During a large rest in the piece, we made brief eye contact, and I couldn't help but smile at how happy he seemed to be. We resumed playing, and I lost myself in the music.

***

Later that night, I was beginning to walk outside from the music suite. I was stopped by a sudden hand on my shoulder, and bright eyes clung to my own.

"I just wanted to say goodnight," the faint streetlamp illuminated his face, and a slight blush arose.

"Goodnight Alec," I felt goosebumps trail across my skin, and a breeze caressed my cheeks.

"Goodnight Thalia,"

~~~
This is the beginning. So the chapter is only about 400 words, my normal chapters are usually about 1,000-2,000 words long, thanks for reading (: