Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 1: It Started With A Threat

Hello all!
Want $5 of Yonder coins?
Use this link here: https://yonder.onelink.me/6vpb/ea5d8fd9
Promo Code: ORANGE
Rules are for this link:
1. Code is valid until the 31st of December 2022!
2. Code can only be redeemed once!
3. One user cannot redeem the promo codes of multiple Wattpad writers
4. Code can only be redeemed via the unique YONDER link shared here :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been able to see the dearly departed for a very long time. It started when I was seven years old. I didn't know it at the same time, but I saw my dead brother playing in our backyard. My family were divided on my ability. My mother helped me through school as I often saw dead children in the playground for decades before. I would also see old people trying to walk across the road but would disappear as they relived the moments before they were hit by a car. Needless to say, my childhood was a little horrific, but thanks to my mother, it was less horrendous than it could have been. My father, on the other hand, didn't like the fact that I could see the dead. In fact, it got so bad that he ended up leaving my mother and me. I don't blame him. He was freaked out over what I could do. He didn't know how to handle it.

Although when my father left, his family continued staying in contact with us. We had been sending occasional Christmas cards, Easter eggs, anniversary presents, that sort of thing, but when my mother died, she told me to continue staying in contact. "They are still your family," she'd tell me.

So it had been five months after Penny, my wife, and I had gone through a rather horrid ordeal at Lumley Castle in Durham when my family contacted me out of the blue and asked me to come back to America and visit them.

'I bet it's because we're famous now,' Penny sighed as she read the three-page letter. It was a Sunday morning, and we had six hours until our flight to JFK from Manchester. 'The Lumley Castle episode has been aired all over the world. You are flooded with personal invites to people's houses, schools, and churches. Not to mention you've had fifteen invitations to host your own ghost talk show! It's amazing!'

I was picking at my porridge with hazelnuts and raspberries. My usual breakfast wasn't perking me up, and I was already on my third cup of coffee. 'Oh yeah, it's amazing to have death threats pouring in alongside them. If it wasn't for Edgar waking me up a few months ago, that idiot claiming I was the devil incarnate would have got into our house!'

Sitting beside me in his personal chair, Edgar nodded with a smile. 'If you can acknowledge that I'm here, I shall help you, dear boy. Ignoring me, and I'll leave you to the dogs.'

'Oh charming,' Penny snapped. 'I heard that!'

Edgar looked a little disgruntled. 'Sometimes dear, I wish you didn't!' And with that, he disappeared, but knowing him, he wouldn't have gone too far.

'They probably want to see us again. They barely stopped long enough to get to know you at the wedding.' My porridge was congealing and looked mildly offensive to eat. I pushed it away from me in slight disgust. 'We'll only be there ten days, and then it's back to business as usual.'

'Ha! Business. I still need you to visit those three places down in Cornwall.' She slapped a list of places onto the table in front of me. 'Jamaica Inn, Bodmin Jail and Kennall Vale. We need to start shooting at one of these locations and have it ready by the twenty-first of May. We had four weeks, and now ten of those days will be spent in America being hounded by your family.'

'I'm sorry, but really they are the only family I have left. The family on my mother's side have all passed away.' Penny nodded and sat down next to me and held my hands.

'I'm sorry for being a pratt. I don't mean to be; I just... we've finally got the ball rolling. We're finally making a name for ourselves. The show is going good; we've got brilliant ratings. I'd like the season to go out with a bang.' I nodded, and she smiled at me. 'Plus, I thought we could take the cameras.'