The Accident

"Things, to my experience, work in Terrible Threes."

        It started out as ordinary as possible, it would seem. Seem, key word. We were just a normal family, going out for a normal car ride, doing normal things. But, normality and I don't get along these days. Looking back on it, I wonder if it ever did, or if this was all some elaborate prank, set upon me by Fate herself. But, what's done is done, and I work through it. Nothing can stop me now. Life doesn't ever play our cards in such a way, that the mundane, the causal, and the blissfully ignorant life styles can be supported, and flourish. Reality always has other plans.

         It was a sunny Saturday morning, and we were on our way to the movie theater, to go see the movie Insurgent. I was bouncing off the walls, giddy with excitement that shone through my bright smile, and reflected in the causal laughter of my small family. Today was the day. I had just turned seventeen, and my parents had gotten me tickets for my birthday. My smile was never ending, as I chatted about the characters, and babbled about the plot-lines to my patient parents, who probably didn't care too much about what Faction I was interested in. We were heading to the movie because Insurgent and Divergent were my favorite movies, and I couldn't contain the urge to wrap my parental unite in a straggle hold of affection when they told me they purchased the tickets. Bouncing up and down in my seat, I buckle the belt, eye searching the front of our home, and singing lightly while we pull away, off on what I thought was less of an adventure than I would be having.

        We were at a stoplight, casually waiting for the light to turn green, and allow for movement of our passenger vehicle,on the smooth concrete surface of the road. "When ever this light is ready to--- Oh, good, we should make it for the previews!" My mother said exuberantly, watching the flickering, angry red dissipate into nothing, and the vibrant green orb on the bottom light up. Seeing the change, my father moved his hands on the wheel, and smiled at my mother; love shining in his eyes. Foot hitting pedal, the car accelerated, gas punched, and wheels turning, making our way across town. We were driving forward, my dad laughing at a joke my mom had said, while I snicker, the music on the radio dulled by the conversation that floated on the open-window-breeze. I was about to say something when suddenly witty, smiling at my own joke, before the lurching of the car had my seat belt biting harshly into the bones of my rib cage. 

        The screech of rubber on pavement assaulted my senses, as my ears were filled with the sound of grinding metal, and shattering glass. Screams, they filled the air from an unknown source, until the air tapered out of my lungs, and I realized my voice was what was added the shrill, deafening destruction. Mouth open, the cab of the car tumbled, jerking my limbs in various directs, while the shattering, tinkling sound of glass shards clattered to the floor. It felt like I was in another world, as I watched the car flip once... Twice... Four times. All the while, my vision blurred, rolling with each terrible crash into the pavement, with every bump along the way. When the car finally came to a stop, steam emitting from it's engine, and glass matted in my hair, I was draped against my restraints. my Seat belt leaving heavy bruises on my shoulder, I couldn't see through the white, buoyant jubilee of airbags, to my parents, while the ringing in my ears became violent. "M-mom?" I croaked, jaw hung open limply. "Dad?" That was almost a whisper, and further vocalization was cut short by ripping coughs. No more sound escaped me, but others noises decorated the molecules of oxygen, from various locations. All around, the outside world beckoned from my cocoon of smelly fluids, burning rubber, and smoke.

        Senses returning, my limbs felt heavy, and everything ached. The only sounds that I could hear were sirens. So many sirens. Like the entire police force, ambulance brigade, and fire department were outside, making a claimer. A migraine bloomed ferociously, ribbing my mind to shreds. Soon, other sounds became noticeable in the throng. People screaming, and the distant sounds of cars. Through the window, the heavy smoke dissipated, and many leather clad boots marched along, fading in and out of focus as my eyes struggled to adjust. Seeing signs of life, I desperately clawed at my seat belt with my fleeting energies, before weakly reaching out with my good hand. The other was trapped in the seat cushion. Someone knelt beside my door, and took my hand through the open window. "Its okay dear...The ambulance is on its way. Don't worry, and stay calm..." I heard a young woman say, more panicked than I was, as everything faded to black.

         I woke up to blinding white lights, and an annoying, discombobulating beeping sound coming from somewhere off to the side. Groaning softly, I put my hand over my eyes, and shifted to avoid the scrutinizing gaze of the florescent bulbs. "Turn the damn lights down." I muttered incoherently at the brightness just beyond my slammed shut eyelids. Grumbling as the lights were turned down slightly, the yellowish red hue castes across my cornea lessened with the amplitude of the light waves. Cracking open my eyes, I observe my surroundings with mild interest, mind fuzzy, and eyes unfocused. Watching as a doctor walked up, and began checking my vitals, I felt my jaw work to form words, while they went about their task of making sure nothing was malfunctioning inside of me, just beneath the surface of my skin.

        "You're lucky to still be alive... Listen, I'm so sorry about the rest of your family." He said softly, eyes down casted, and expression tense as he glanced at me. Unable to come to terms with what was being said, my mind reels, and expression hardens. Squinting my eyes, I glared a seething expression at the doctor.

        "What do you mean? How did this even happen?" I asked him as I crossed my arm. My memory was hazy, ideas sitting on the fringes of my understanding, too blurry to comprehend, but too vivid to fade. Expression screwed in concentration, I retraced my steps, and what could've landed me a one way trip to the hospital. Nothing came at first, except the car ride. The joke. The crash. Gasping, eyes brimming with tears, terror had my heart galloping in my chest, begging for release. Casting my weary eyes to body, I saw many tubes connecting to muscles below the surface of my skin, and various clean, white monitors blinking in the low light.

        "A faulty ignition... It caused the car to malfunction, and, and it couldn't stop, interfering with the brake mechanics, and drive axle. The then car went out of control at a red light, and sped forward, hitting another car. The car that was hit was nailed going fifty miles per hour, shattering the main frame, and causing it to flip..." he slowed down, putting the case file he was writing in back in the pouch at my hospital bed. "That was your parents car. You were in an accident, Miss. The rest of your family...didn't make it.." He explained. His eyes darted around the room, settling on a far corner, at something I couldn't make out fully. He sounded sincere, and the story was plausible. But for some reason, some how ... I couldn't accept it. Things like this don't just happen. I knew he was lying about it, some part of the story rung false, and had my face screwing up in displeasure.

        Then it clicked. No one approaches a red light at fifty miles an hour. Unless they had a death wish. My death wish. Shivering, I pull the think blanket further around the frame of my body. I knew the truth... My family had been killed on purpose....Someone, somewhere had orchestrated the accident, and I was going to find out who. Even if it kills me.