I Want Sam Too Excerpt

The day hastened to turn into night. D was on the wheel while Sam stirred in his sleep beside her. They were on Highway 101 North.

"Hey, can we stop somewhere? I'm starving, and I need to use the restroom." Sam said.

Her eyes moved towards his face as she looked at him with suspicion.

"Sure! Let me navigate to the nearest exit. The next one would be Gilroy." D said.

"Are you okay? You sound like you need a rest. Do you want me to drive?"

"Thanks, I'm fine. Let's just go and grab a bite. Anything you like in particular?" D said.

"Nah, I'm okay with anything." Sam quipped.

In silence she took the exit and onto the ramp while her eyes searched for the nearest place where they could eat. Her vision was quick as she caught the familiar white-long moustached grandfatherly face on the sign of a fast food chain. She manoeuvred the car towards the parking lot while keeping her sight on her right side mirror. Startled, she stepped on the gas and almost side swiped the car parked alongside. She froze and unable to move. Her face twitched as she followed the dark blue van with her eyes. 'That van was on the highway three cars back as we took the exit. Were they following us?' D thought to herself.

"Let's go Sam, I'm starving." She opened her door. Stepping out in silence, while her body was tingling in warning. In spite of the tiredness she felt in her body, she was in full alert. After receiving the call from her handler, which awoke her sleeper mind from the long, long sleep. Without a word, Sam and D entered the restaurant.

***

"Eagle eye, eagle eye. I want an update. Do you have the subjects in sight?" CIA Director Henry "The Fox" Jones asked through the headset in his hand as he scanned the wide monitor in the action room.

"Affirmative Fox, we just passed them by as they were parking at a KFC here in Gilroy. We're making a turn about as we speak."

"Keep your eye on them. Copy?" Director Jones said.

"Copy!"

Henry 'The Fox ' Jones, should have retired long time ago. In the twilight years of his life at seventy five, he has been through four different presidents, not one of them would let him retire for his impeccable job as the director of the CIA. Henry Jones, invisible and inconspicuous as could be, remained so while keeping his boss, the President of the United States as squeaky clean as possible. He even scripted the so called 'plausible deniability' for his boss and for his men. Maybe, just maybe, now he could retire after the president finished his last term.

"Fox, Eagle eyes here. Subjects are dining right now, and we're right across the street and have our sights on them." Jones focused on the giant monitor in front and made out the two thermal images of Sam and D seated across each other on the table.

"Affirmative, I got them on the screen. Now listen, keep your distance as far as you could, do you copy? The girl could be quite dangerous if it comes down to that."

"Copy that Fox. Will do!" Eagle eyes said.

***

"D, you look worried. Is there anything bothering you?"

Delilah Fox or Dfox has been on the edge of her seat since the conversation with the CIA director. Her mind raced as she took in the reality of the situation now. Sam killed, or keep him alive? The question had been bugging her the whole time. What about the relationship she have with Sam? Disobeying the order of the director was out of the question. She covered her face with both her hands.