Character Snippets from Book Two

As the countdown to Book Two - Forging of a Knight, Rise of the Slavekeepers, slowly progresses, I wanted to share some additional insights on two of our upcoming supporting cast members, Jesepha and Euric.

Both are knights in good standing of the Alliance's Order of the Bearded Lion, and new friends to Qualtan and Glaive. Both Jesepha and Euric are good friends with each other, having trained and grown up together within the Order. It didn't take long for Euric to develop a crush on his sister knight, with her boldness, beauty, and deadly skill with the sword.

However, Jesepha was of a different mind, fiercely independent, and Euric's awkward attempts at courtship usually ended in disaster for him. Try as he might, whether with suave words or childish schoolboy antics, nothing seemed to work. Other girls fell for his artificial charm, but not Jesepha! She had seen his routine one time too many. Besides, she was more inclined towards testing her skill in battle than being romanced, especially by a fellow knight. Still, Euric never was one to give up on such a challenge, and she became resigned to his never ending attempts. Would she ever see him differently? That's for further reading in Book Two. Here's an excerpt, as Euric tries his luck yet again:

“How could you let that rogue touch you? You’ve tumbled over many a man who dared, including me!” Euric said, taking hold of Jesepha’s shoulder.

“My business is my own!” Jesepha responded.

“Surely you are not attracted to him?! He is a brigand and a scheming profiteer! Probably has more wives in more lands that you have fingers and toes!”

“Your opinion means little to me.”

“And what of your opinion of me?”

Jesepha sighed, pausing her step. “Euric…” She began to complain. He quickly put a finger to his lips, pulling her to a quiet alcove within the ship.

“We don’t have time for this.” She argued.

“Yes we do. I play no games this time. You know how I feel about you. I have attempted to court you…”

“As you have many a maiden back home.”

“Because you deny me at every turn! I have no choice! What is it? Why will you not honor me with a favorable response? For awhile I thought you had chosen Bartholomew…”

“Bartholomew? He has looked out for me, and mentored me. I love him as I would an older brother.”

“And I?”

Jesepha allowed her usually tough exterior to slacken. Her voice became soft, and gentle.

“Euric, you are like a younger brother to me. You are kind, and despite your childish antics and annoying prattle, you are a true knight. I know your feelings for me, and I have done my best to dissuade you of them. I’m sorry.”

Euric’s eyes looked down. He frowned with sadness. He shuffled uneasily.

Jesepha could see his pain, and smiled sadly. She placed a hand on his cheek, staring into his eyes.

“Please understand, Euric. I love you as a good friend, but I cannot give you more.”

He took his hand and placed it upon hers.

“Then whose favor do you carry?”

“I carry none.”

“But surely matters of the heart have not escaped you.”

“I have not thought to concern myself with such things.”

“A horrid mistake! You cannot live by the sword alone! There is life to live, and parties to attend, and merriment to be had!”

Jesepha laughed at last. “I have enjoyed those things.”

“But alone.” Euric insisted.

This time it was Jesepha who seemed unsure of herself. “I am not closed to such matters. When the right man comes, I will know of it. Until then…”

“Until then! By that time you will be an old crone, creaking more than your armor! You aren’t getting any younger, you know…”

Jesepha’s face turned red with sudden rage.

“Not getting any younger?!” She demanded.

“You demand too much! If you continue with your ways, you will never be happy and it will be too late to show a bit of lace on your leg!”

“You insufferable, ignorant…”

“You know I speak the truth!” Euric quickly interjected.

“Argh!” Jesepha growled with frustration, quickly moving away.

Euric watched her leave. He sighed, touching the side of his face where her hand had been. “Well done, you fool!” He said to himself miserably.