Short story #1: A Chimaera Legend

Once upon a time, before Chimaera and Seraphim, there was the sun and the moons. The sun was betrothed to Nitid, the bright sister, but it was demure Ellai, always hiding behind her bold sister, who stirred his lust. He contrived to come upon her bathing in the sea, and he took her. She struggled, but he was the sun, and thought he should have what he wanted. Ellai stabbed him and escaped, and the blood of the sun flew like sparks to the earth, where it became Seraphim -- misbegotten children of fire. And like their father, they believed it their due to want, and take, and have.

As for Ellai, she told her sister what had passed, and Nitid wept, and her tears fell to the earth and became Chimaera, children of regret. When the sun came again to the sisters, neither would have him. Nitid put Ellai behind her and protected her, though the sun, still bleeding sparks, knew she was not as defenseless as she seemed. He pled with Nitid to forgive him, but she refused, and to this day, he follows the sisters across the sky, wanting, and wanting, and never having, and that will be his punishment, forever.

Nitid is the goddess of tears and life, hunts and war, and her temples are too many to count. It is she who fills wombs, slows the hearts of the dying, and leads her children against the Seraphim. Her light is like a small sun; she chases away shadows. Ellai is more subtle. She is a trace, a phantom moon, and there are only a handful of nights each year, when she alone, takes the sky. These are called Ellai nights, and they are dark and star-scattered, and good for furtive things. Ellai is the goddess of assassins and secret lovers. Temples to her are few, and hidden, like the one in requiem grove in the hills above Loramendi.