chapter 1

Penny was out searching for the hunters' hidden base, it was the only way to stop them, they wouldn't stop slaying dragons until they were gone, forever. None of the dragons had been able to find it yet, but she knew they can to before her entire tribe was gone. Penny saw a flicker of movement. It was a sleeping cow, the perfect dinner.she had heard of hunters dragging dead cows as live prey luring dragons in, but this one wasn't moving. She dived toward it, then pulled back....it was a trap! She blasted molten gold at the trappers hidden nearby they had death darts ready, she growled and they ran.Her stomach rumbled and she prepared to take a large bite of the cow, when her sharp nose caught a whiff of something, she perked up looking around, then realised the odd scent was coming from the cow itself, poisoned, she snorted in disgust. She decided she'd better hurry after the hunter even following on foot so they wouldn't see her she quickly caught up. The trappers ran into a large, guarded building. "The base!" she gasped. The hunters heard her and fired. She had seen what those arrows could do--make a dragon drop dead in less than a heartbeat. She shot gold at them and flew back to her camp where a large brown dragon was on guard. "Bark!" she called to him out of breath. He spun to face her, "I haven't seen you this excited in a long time," he said brightening. "I found the base," she told him, "it's by salmon river and misty oaks." "You go get Plum. She's now on guard," she ordered. He dashed off as commanded. She sniffed. The nearest dragon was Vine. Penny followed the scent, "Vine!" she called. She heard a loud screech of absolute terror and, rushing forward, saw a group of trappers surrounding Vine. "Fly as high as you can!" she called while blasting a trapper. They started firing at her, squawking commands at each other. She blasted the arrows but one stealthy trapper had snuck up behind her. They fired. The arrow hit her. She didn't feel pain, just sudden drowsiness. She dropped unconscious. 

When she woke up she was in a cage. She growled softly as she saw all the other dragons in cages. Some far away dragons had saddles. She saw only the strongest types of dragons here. Next to her was another gilded breath. Penny had thought she was the last one. She gasped waking it up. He stared at her in shock, "A-another gilded b-breath," he said. He was now wide awake. She heard hunters nearby. Remembering where she was, "What do they do to dragons here?" she whimpered. He looked at her and replied, "They t-t-try  to train dragons." "Ha!" Penny barked. "Have they ever succeeded?" she laughed. He slowly nodded, "They torture us if if we don't do as they say. Only we stronger breeds have resisted," he said. Penny gasped loudly. Some other dragon growled at her, they were trying to sleep.  Penny was uncomfortable in her cramped cage. She spat some gold on the floor to warm it. The floor sizzled and the hot gold dripped onto the dragon below. The dragon yelped but her scales were fireproof so the gold slid off them leaving her fine, but angry. Penny glanced at her fellow gilded breath and raised her eyebrows (do dragons have eyebrows??) The other gilded breath stared at her in shock, "I can't break the bars, "he said, "I tried." Penny shrugged, melted the door hinges, and started walking out of the room. "I will come back," she promised. "What's your name? I didn't catch it," she asked him. He looked at her, "My name is Orion. What's yours?" She turned back, "I'm penny. It was nice meeting you Orion." She creaked open the door jumping back in case someone heard the noise. No one came in so she crept through the halls taking out guards as she came across them. Finally she made it outside. She sighed breathing in the fresh air. Then a hunter yelled something in their small voice--probably, "Get her!" She shrieked. She had forgotten how many guards were outside. Flying off in panic, dodging arrows, and melting spears. Then, when it looked like Penny was about to claim victory, the hunters grouped together. One spoke into a small black thing and then, from the top of the fortress, something hurtled out, racing towards Penny. She blasted at it but, taken by surprise, fear made her miss.  A weighted net landed on top of her pinning her to the ground.