Cafè au Lait (RL) @PoisedPen

Stepping outside, I instantly questioned my decision to venture out, leaving the comfort of my second story brownstone apartment for this white out. Adjusting my backpack and pulling my laptop bag closer to me, the need for wireless internet and coffee, propelled me forward as I trudged through the snow towards Main Street.

Just the day before, the streets that had bustled with celebrities, film industry professionals and cinephiles was now quiet. The Sundance Film Festival had concluded leaving the historic district of downtown Park City to its normal rhythm. A few seasonal visitors scurried past me as I swung open the door to Cafe Latte as the keepers door bell chimed. The rich aroma of coffee met me, awakening my uncaffeinated brain.

Cafe Latte was a coffee house that was a favorite among us locals. A labor of love by it's owner Ethan, a good friend of mine, no detail was overlooked. It's vintage feel was true from it's mortise and tenon ceiling, down to the worn floorboards that creaked when walked upon. Salvaged light fixtures hung from walls paneled with reclaimed wood from a long since shuttered mill. Deep, richly colored sofas framed the large stone hearth that rewarded patrons with a warming fire. Comfortable chairs and antique tables were scattered throughout encouraging quiet conversations or a relaxing solitary read.

I stomped my boots clean, placed my bags down on an empty table and shook the snow off of me. As I turned to hang my coat and scarf on the rack, I knocked my backpack down, sending it and all of it's contents scattering in different directions.

Ethan's voice called out from behind the counter "Hey, Harper, you should try to make a bigger entrance next time!"

"Yeah, yeah" I grumbled, as I quickly chased down pens and highlighters. I thanked a couple for their help as they handed me the books that had slid under their table.

After gathering the items and thanking them again, I quickly made my way over to my usual table in a secluded corner, pulled my laptop out of it's bag and plugged it in.

I walked over to the counter where Ethan stood with a look of amusement written all over his face. "Perhaps I should serve your coffee in a spill proof sippy cup today?"

"Listen you, be more hospitable. Wireless is still down in my building and I may or may not have frozen off one of my pinky toes on the way over here. It's snowing like crazy outside!" I whined.

He shook his head. "The news is reporting that the worst is about to hit, we are expecting blizzard like conditions throughout the day and into the evening. You're lucky I even opened!"

"Thank you Ethan, patron saint of delicious coffee, for coming downstairs and enduring that killer commute. How many steps down is it exactly?" I winked at him as I surveyed the display case in search of my breakfast. It contained the typical coffee house fare of pastries, over-sized muffins, and assorted baked goods. I settled on a blueberry scone and a cafè au lait.

Returning to my table, I sat down and prepared to upload the latest chapter of my novel to Wattpad. Inspiration had hit me late the night before and without wireless internet, I grabbed my notebook and scribbled out the chapter. I reached in my backpack and fished around for it. I clearly remembered putting it in there before leaving my apartment. It wasn't in there. I panicked. That notebook had all of my notes including the entire recent chapter, which was, for the lack of a better word, smutty.

It must have fallen out with the rest of my stuff. I stood up, walking back towards the front, trying to appear casual. I scanned the floors, underneath the tables, no luck. I moved towards the fireplace and crouched down looking under a sofa. Still nothing. That's when a man's, large, camel colored, suede boot caught my eye. My eyes then traveled up the leg, clad in a dark pair of skinny jeans, to his knee, where the boot belonging to the other foot rested with his left hand casually placed over it. I could just barely make out a small cross tattoo between his thumb and forefinger.