Prolouge

"Run Grace, you have to run if you want live." The raspy voice spoke, it seeming to curl around me like smoke.

I looked around, seeing nothing but tall pine trees surrounding me. Fog clung to the ground, masking my feet and the grass. Cold settled into my bones.

"Run."

I took off running, out of my control. I screamed at myself to stop, but I couldn't, my legs wouldn't listen to me. Something was behind me. I couldn't stop running.

"It's getting closer Grace," The voice teased. "You better hurry."

I could feel its presence behind me. I wanted to look behind me, to see what was chasing me, but my head wouldn't comply. All I could see was the trees rushing past me and, in the far distance, a small open circle of grass with no fog. Sun shone down on it like a safe haven compared to the dark forest.

"Make it to the clearing and you win. Make it to the clearing and you live."

I went even faster, the clearing getting larger and the thing getting closer.

Use your electricity, I told myself, turn around and zap the thing.

But, to no surprise, I couldn't. The familiar bolts wouldn't appear in my hand. I couldn't fight, my only option was to run.

I was almost there. I could feel the sunlight warming my skin as I got closer.

I almost made it.

The thing grabbed my shirt, slinging me backwards. I slammed into a tree with tremendous force, the air getting knocked out of my lungs. I coughed, blood speckling the back of my hand.

"You lost Grace."

A pair of blue eyes stared at me through the darkness.

I woke up with a scream clawing its way out of my throat. My limbs were thrashing wildly and my breathing was in short, rapid outbursts. Someone was wrapping their arms around me.

"Shh, calm down Grace, it was just a dream." They whispered soothingly.

Will.

I calmed down at the recognition of his voice, of his comforting arms. He held me close, my head buried in his chest.

"It was just a dream Grace. Nothing more than a dream."