The Quiet Spaces

I walk into the bathroom, close the door behind myself. I don't turn on the light, so it is dim but not dark. Filtered light streams through the sheer blue curtains. There is only one window.

 I unfasten my most precious possesion; a golden necklace. I am sure to be careful with it and not tangle the delicate chain. My house coat is warm, soft and dry. I only wear it for the walk down the hall though. I can faintly hear the bassline of my brother's rap music. If I listen harder, intentionally, I can make out the words of his music.

I am standing infront of the mirror, my hands on the cool sink. I have come from a party, there were few of my friends there. Everyone was drinking, everything was loud and every joke was hilarious. It was a good time, but I longed for the familiar company of my best friend. I drop my house coat. A slight breeze shifts the curtains and causes goosebumps across my bare skin. I pull open the shower curtain, turn on the water. I am scared to never have these nights again. I want to always feel welcome. I want the continuation of good times, and I'm terrified to loose them again.

Soon, I'll be in bed; covered and cozy by my purple comforter. I wish I could be with a loved one, sleeping in their bed. Sleeping is easier when the embodiment of all that is good has his arms around you. I get out of the shower, turn off the water and pick up my towel. The faint taste of chips is still in my mouth. I am surprised to still be full.

I inhale the smell of soap, tangerines and fabric softener. My skin is dry and smells the same as the steamy air. The distant music is still thumps but I am changed; clean and tired. I wrap myself in the towel and leave the bathroom.