Chapter I

I was moving last box of my books into my new apartment in Upper East Side, New York. Since I´ve became creative director of magazine Harper´s Bazaar I really could afford to buy myself a lot of beautiful stuff like this amazing penthouse. They say that if you never give up once you will reach your goal and it was truth.

  My life used to be miserable and stupid. I was born in Tomintoul, Scotland. Population? Just a little over 300 people. Never felt right. I was absolutely useless in family farming business and I just knew that fashion is what I was born for. When I met Aiden we decided to go to college in Edinburgh together and after year of saving every penny we moved to New York together. We finished studies, Aiden on NYU and me on Columbia, while we both worked in thousand places to pay our half destroyed apartment in Queens. But it was amazing part of our lives. And all of the adventures were worth it. Modeling agent saw Aiden and gave him job and just few month after that Aiden got me an interview in Harper´s Bazaar and I got the job. I was working my ass of to get promotion and now I became one of the best ones.

 I was enjoying my penthouse view and eventually I was to tired to unpack more boxes so I felt asleep with a huge smile glued on my face looking forward another day as a creative director, full of work and I was especially looking forward to meet CEO of the new brand that HB is going to be working with.

                                                                                          ***

I turned off an annoying sound of alarm clock and walked into the kitchen still half asleep to have my morning dose of caffeine. My hear almost jumped out of my chest when I saw Jo ( Johanna, but everybody calls her Jo). She was already making coffee and I could smell some fresh breakfast from bakery.

I looked at her with questioning face.

"Don´t even ask!" she chuckled. "It´s enough to be pretty for him to let you in." she commented doorman of my building. I just smiled and she embraced me in a tight hug. I was happy to see her after 4 weeks of being in different destinations.

"How was Buenos Aires?" I asked. 

Tired smile appeared on her face. "It was beautiful, I promise we will go there when we will have holidays."

"If we ever get some." I said sarcastically but already took it as not-so-sad theme. I loved my job and no matter how tiring it was to work almost all the time I loved it.

"I think the photos came out amazing and so I wanted to give you samples already now in the morning so you can check them before getting to office." Jo said and handed me some pictures.

I was looking through them while drinking soy latte and I was mesmerised.

"I love this one so much." I said and I pointed to the picture of model dressed up in clothes by "Marni" at the beach. I´m just a biggest fan of Marni.

After looking through all of pictures I approved them and took them to later show them to Glenda, our chief-editor.

While Jo was peeking into every corner of my new apartment I got dressed into my new red dress from Max Mara that I planed to wear today to impress CEO of "Richard Cox". I took my golden Louboutins  and did a little hygiene-make-up routine.

"OK, honestly, how do I look?" I asked Jo and when she glanced at me her jaw dropped. That answer was enough.

We took only one car since we planned to get back to my place together after work and spend some days there working and having our bff time. I was wondering how many days I will last until I will ask Jo to move in. We just wasn´t able to live separately. She is like other half of my brain and heart.

We got stuck in horrible traffic and I started to get nervous about being late for my meeting at 9. At 9:06 we literally flew through the door of Harper's building and jumped into the elevator.

"9:07...Shit!" I cursed when I looked at the elevator clock.

"Oh, come on, some stupid CEO of Cox whatever is not gonna die waiting for 10 minutes. He should be happy that you are giving him a chance." Jo pointed out but I burned her with my flaming gaze.

"You know how hard it was to steal him from Vogue? I almost died! Well not literally but it was incredibly hard. I can´t be late!" I panicked.

"Well babe, you are, but who wouldn´t wait for such a beautiful creative director. I would." she smiled.  

Finally I got to 35 floor. I gave Jo a quick kiss on the cheek and hear her shouting about meeting her for lunch. I shouted agreement and stormed to the conference room. I stop in front of it almost tripping because of my high heels and I took a deep breath.

"Okay Karen, you can do this. Yes it´s your first big job as a creative director but you are the best and you´re gonna me it." I said myself and tried to believe it.

I did a last check of myself in a little mirror on the door.

No stains on dress - Check

Hair looks gorgeous but not like I tried hard- Check

Enough mascara- Check

Clean teeth- Check

Birkin Bag with my notebook- Check!

I took a deep breath while entering the room. I looked around to see young guy. As close as I was getting to him I started to recognize that stupid face.

"What the hell?" I said annoyed.

He looked up with his sparkling blue eyes that turned into ice not even 5 seconds after he saw me.

"What the hell are you doing here?! " he asked, surprise and disgust in his face.

"Ehm-ehm, I work here idiot !" I yelled already boiling with anger. How can anybody make me angry in 3 stupid seconds?!

"Well nobody ordered coffee Forbes, so you can go and maybe on your way back to wherever you will go you could find creative director, because I´ve been waiting for her for 20 minutes already." he said with his stupid posh tone.

"Don´t tell me that Richard Cox and you are related?" I said praying to myself that they are not.

"Well, looks like I´m his son and his CEO. But enough of chatting. Hush! Call creative director already!" Jeremy pointed to the door. I couldn´t believe what an idiot he was.

"She is standing here for 5 minutes already, idiot." I pointed out.

He looked around searching for any other life form in conference room and at the end his eyes ended on me. He rolled them with sigh.

"Oh, you got to be kidding me!" was the last thing he could say before I slapped him across his stupid face.