Beyond the ashes

Lost. Left behind. Forgotten. The rain poured, leaving her there, open - empty. She stared at the ashes, tears long since dry. Was she really the only one left? Memories flooded back to her, the love of her mother, the comfort of her sister, his smile... him... The only one who had ever understood her, who knew her inside out. He was the only ray of light in her life. Now, even what she thought she had was lost. She stared up at the grey sky. Why am I still here? Why can't I just cease to exist? She picked up her notebook, the only object left among the ashes... and walked. She didn't know where she was going. She didn't even care anymore...but she knew. Somewhere, there was something more than the ashes. There was something more than pain, than regret, than fear. She walked forward, and looked beyond the bones of the dead that spread across the mountains. Regret trailed behind her. Guilts chains never weakened. Loneliness gripped her shattered heart, leaving fear to overtake her. But she pushed it all aside. There was a reason why she was the only one left. Shadows reached out to her, tempting her not to look beyond the ashes, tempting her to stay where she was, to fall back down along with the dead. But she didn't stop...She just kept walking.