Jonas and Haylee

FADE IN:

EXT. CITY – DAY

In urban Iowa, two teens are sitting in a coffee shop.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. CITY – COFFEE SHOP – DUSK

Jonas and his girlfriend Haylee are having casual conversation in a coffee shop.

JONAS, black hair, late teens, has casual conversation with his girlfriend.

JONAS

(picks up the teapot) Would you like some more tea, my dear?

HAYLEE, brunette, mid teens, shakes her head.

HAYLEE

(friendly smile) That's quite all right; I've already had two cups.

JONAS smiles for a moment and nods once in understanding.

JONAS

(while setting the pot back on the table) Well, if you change your mind.

There is a long pause between the two, a sort of strenuous silence.

HAYLEE pulls a notebook out of her backpack on the floor. She retrieves a pencil from its spirals and continues to write on an already written-on page.

JONAS peers to see what it is.

JONAS

What're you writing?

HAYLEE looks up to catch JONAS's eyes, a blank expression on her face.

HAYLEE

(calmly) Nothing of importance.

JONAS gives a confused smile.

JONAS

(smiling) Oh, come on. Everything you do is of importance.

HAYLEE smiles for a split second then continues writing. JONAS's smile disappears. He furrows his brows, still confused.

JONAS

Why can't I know?

HAYLEE looks up once more, puts down her pencil and shuts her notebook.

HAYLEE

It's hardly a conversation topic. (persuasive) Let's just forget it, okay?

JONAS gives a half smile, yet still wonders what HAYLEE was writing.

JONAS

All right. What now, my dear? Shall we go for a walk in the park? Or, rather, visit the bookstore? We haven't been there in a while.

HAYLEE gives a friendly smile.

HAYLEE

I'm actually feeling quite weary. I might turn in early tonight, if that's okay.

JONAS nods.

JONAS

Of course, I'll walk you home–