Prolouge

The thump of the last bag hitting the floor was hardly audible under the rustle of everyone in the hallway. They were excited, nervous, elated, upset. No single emotion seemed set in anyone's mind, other than Ryan. The only thing he felt was exhaustion. He let out a long breath and pushed open the door to see one of the closest friends he'd made last year sitting on one of the beds. The boy's head raised at the sound of the door opening and he smiled, bright and humble.
"You're kinda late, aren't you?" He asked as he stroked his beard jokingly only for Ryan to roll his eyes.
"Don't test me right now, Jack." The taller replied as he began lugging his various belongings into the room amd unpacking. Jack only chuckled and went back to whatever he'd been doing on his computer, the two each working independently in the silence. Ryan had met Jack as a freshman through football. He wasn't really into sports, but he was getting a scholarship for it, so he went along with it. Jack just so happened to be the unfortunate guy in a rooster suit-a job that was reserved for the lowliest of freshmen. Their initial connection was when Ryan heard Jack's voice for the first time and thought it was his own. A weird way to meet, yes, but they had a relationship like no other. Yet again, everything at Hunter University was peculiar...but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.