Chapter 1

Right now, strolling around the park in Madrid, I could only wonder one thing: why this brunnette beauty wanted to hide herself from humanity. I was looking away from my model girlfriend and the group of her friends we'd just bumped into. She was talking modeling, beauty products, fashion, all these things my sister explained to me time and time again but I never got.

While looking at the panorama, I'd stopped to stare at a girl who was sitting on the grass, propping herself up against a tree and playing the guitar. From the movement of her mouth, I could tell she was singing. For some reason, she was far away from any movement of people in the park. It seemed she didn't want anyone to see or hear her. But I certainly wanted to. Intrigued by her and entranced, I started walking towards her.

She was wearing a short embroidered shirt, short jeans and her long, curly hair was loose. She had on some hoop earings and she was barefoot, her sandals lying on the grass mount in front of her. Once I was within hearing range, I could hear the notes of the guitar. She played it so sweetly. I noticed her glasses started sliding down the bridge of her nose so she stopped playing to push them up. I couldn't help smiling at this cute action. She looked like a gypsy. She was so focused on her music. I couldn't make out the tone of her voice so I kept walking toward her.

"Álvaro! Honey, where are you going?" I heard Carla screaming at me. I shook my head and blinked various times. I looked back at her and screamed back: "Uuhh...Nowhere." I was turning away from the girl to head back but looked back and frowned in her direction one last time to make sure I hadn't imagined her. There she was. I met up with Carla again and we kept walking hand in hand but, for some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about that gypsy-like girl...

My girlfriend and I had gone out to get gelato some days later and there she was. Standing in line, her headphones on, a similar laid-back vibe to her wardrobe. I almost stopped cold while walking toward the line to stand behind her and Carla pushed me. "What's wrong? Move." She shoved me and I bumped into her. I grimaced as she took her headphones off and looked directly at me. Her coffee-brown eyes were staring right into my soul. I felt like I knew her. "S-sorry." I stuttered.

She closed her eyes and shook her head, realizing she'd been staring at me. "It's ok." Carla popped out from behind me and interrupted: "I'm sorry, that was my bad. I shoved by boyfriend here." She waved her hand as if dismissing the whole situation. "It doesn't matter. It's ok, really. Don't worry about it." She obviously wasn't from here. Somewhere in Latin America, probably.

She smiled at both of us and turned back around, putting her headphones back on. I just saw her face in my head, thinking that maybe I did know her from somewhere. Carla takes me out of my daydream as she wraps her hands around me from behind and kisses my neck. It seemed as though Madrid was way smaller than I thought...

Still hypnotized by this strange gypsy, I went to the park again but this time by myself at around the same time I'd seen her. I walked toward the same tree and there she was. This time, she was wearing a long strapless white dress and was also barefoot. Her wild mane was more or less contained by a colorful head wrap. If my sister saw how she dressed, she'd love it. She was laid-back just like her. She had her glasses on today too. I made my way toward her while looking around me to make sure no one was watching. I tried to sneak in behind the tree.

I closed in and finally heard her voice. It was unusually deep for her petite body but it was like velvet when it mixed with those notes from the guitar. "I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now." She was singing some song in english. I was pretty sure it was Taylor Swift. It was beautiful. I noticed she stopped mid-line and made a disapproving sound with her mouth. "I thought that was great." I stepped around the tree and it seemed like her heart had jumped to her throat. She put her hand, which was holding the pick, over her heart and breathed loudly. "Holy shit. You scared the crap out of me."

She suddenly looked at my face and tried to look away but did a double-take, her face in a frown. "Hey, you're that guy from the gelato place." She obviously didn't know who I was professionally and I think I loved that. "That's me." "Didn't quite catch your name, though." "Oh, it's Álvaro. You?" "Alicia." "It's very nice to meet you." "Likewise. So., how did you find me? I thought I was invisible here." "I'm not gonna lie, it's sort of hard to see you being as you're sitting the farthest away from human contact." She looked down and blushed.

"I am. This is just my escape. I really like to come here and just play. And sing. If you can call my out-of-tune rambling singing." She scoffed. I frowned. "What? I think you're really good." "How can you think that? You haven't even heard me." She playfully challenged. True I'd only heard a couple of notes. "So play me something." "No." She looked down and clutched her guitar. "I don't like singing in front of people. I've never taken any classes. I'm not any good." "Oh, come on. Yes you are. Play something. Please." I bent my head to try and meet her gaze. I don't know why I was being so pushy. There was just something about her. She seemed so passionate. I wanted to hear what she could do. "Ok. But if you promise to make a fair assessment after I'm done. No sparing my feelings." She looked me straight in the eye, dead serious. I put my left hand over my heart and raised my right. "I promise." "Ok. Here it goes..."

She was so skeptical. Then I heard the first notes. No. It can't be. Then she started singing and my suspicions were confirmed. She was playing 'Será' by El Canto del Loco. One of my favorite songs ever by one of my favorite bands ever. They're not together anymore so she must be an old fan. My jaw dropped and, even though she was concentrated on her playing and looking down at the chords, I closed my mouth again and listened. For my favorite part, I closed my eyes and breathed in. It was beautiful. Her version was better than the original. So heartfelt. She sang with such passion. She finished and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and, with her eyes still closed, asked: "What did you think?"

I said I would be honest so I told her exactly what i thought. "I think it was better than the original." She opened her eyes and looked directly into mine. She seemed to be looking for a lie in my expression. It obviously wasn't there because I was being truthful. "Really? You've heard it before?" "Sure! El Canto del Loco is my favorite band ever." She opened her eyes wide and gasped. She put her guitar down beside her and folded her legs under her. She faced me and looked ready to talk. The time seemed to fly by as she told me about some songs she liked, other bands, different genres...

Noticing the sun was setting, she suddenly looked at her wristwatch, which was sporty and she wore it on her right, and gasped. "Oh my God. I have to go. I promised my housemate I'd meet up with her." She started putting her guitar away and strapping on her sandals. As she did so, I considered wether or not I was ready to possibly never see her again. Not. "Hey, can I have your number? Madrid is a huge city and we might not get another chance encounter." She seemed to consider it for a few seconds and then half-smiled at me. "I come here to practice every day at the same time. Chance has nothing to do with it." She winked at me and started walking away, her swaying of the hips something I wasn't familiar with here in Spain. I bit my lip and thought: maybe she's just an illusion.