Goodwood (Adam & Elizabeth)

I was one of those people

You know the ones, they say money can't buy happiness. I walked around honestly believing that money and happiness were, at their core, unrelated.

But the truth? The truth was money could buy a whole lotta happiness. Case in point: money had purchased Elizabeth a slot at the Goodwood Revival in West Sussex. And the look on her face as she gunned Theo's Mercedes 300SL down the winding track was nothing short of pure joy.

"I had no idea she was so proficient behind the wheel," Theo murmured, his hand tucked inside Allison's as they stood beside me watching Elizabeth's run.

I chuckled as Allison threw me a shrug. She and I both knew all too well that Elizabeth was a pretty amazing driver. Allison's face mirrored mine. We wore giant smiles as we watched. Theo on the other hand? He had some pretty wide eyes and a slack jaw.

"She could've been a driver if she'd wanted to. Lucky for her, she's got me." In the last year I'd managed to get her track time in my AMG, and a run in one of my team's cars. Working for a Formula 1 racing team had come with far more perks than I'd originally dreamed. I occasionally kicked myself for waiting so long, but then again, if I had taken the job in Brackley working as a design engineer for Mercedes AMG, I might not have met Elizabeth. At least not when we did.

"Lucky indeed," Allison murmured, giving me a much longer look than she had before. This one, if I wasn't mistaken, was meant to be a statement on the current state of my relationship with her best friend.

We lived together and there was no one else on the planet for me...but Elizabeth wasn't the kind of girl who wanted a ring, to change her name, or have a big wedding. She liked things the way they were. And because of how far she'd already come, I wasn't going to be the one to push the idea of making our relationship more permanent. Most mornings I woke up thanking my lucky stars the drop-dead gorgeous woman who could drive a stick and command a classroom full of brilliant college students was still in bed beside me. I was a lucky fucking bastard and I knew it.

Asking her to marry me would push her over the edge. I wanted to love her, not hurt her. But Allison didn't agree. Of course, she was also the one who'd been pushing Elizabeth since they became college roommates. She was a lot more comfortable with the boundaries Elizabeth could handle.

The crowd erupted in cheers as the cars on the track crossed the finish line. I watched with a ridiculous amount of pride coursing through my veins as Elizabeth navigated the car into the line headed off the track, wondering if Allison was right. Maybe it was time to test the waters.

"Could you grab us another round, and we'll meet you down there?" Theo murmured in Allison's ear.

She nodded and smiled. "See you there. It's time to celebrate."

We strolled across the grounds, making our way between exceptionally well-dressed groups. The fun thing about Revival was that it was a period festival. You didn't have to dress up, but most did. Theo was in one of his throwback three-piece gangster suits. Allison was dressed to match in one of her champagne-colored gowns, and I was in one of my standard suits. After Elizabeth had the car squared away she'd be slipping back into her bright red dress as well.