chapter 1

(Picture of Aster above)

Right now, I'm filling out a job application. Mom hasn't had a job for seven months now, and our bank account is running out. Mom doesn't seem to care, and it doesn't seem like she's going to be getting a job anytime soon.

Aster starts crying, and put aside the paper. I get up from my bed and walk over to her crib. I gently pick her up. "Hey princess, did you sleep well?" I ask and get a gurgle in response. I situate her on my hip, grab us both sweaters, my phone, her backpack, put some shoes on, and leave our bedroom.

"You must be hungry, Aster, let's get you a bottle." I put her backpack down and walk to the kitchen to get a bottle ready.

"Willow," I jump, startled. I didn't know Mom decided to get out of bed this morning.

"Hey, Mom," I greet and grab the powder for her bottle from the cabinet.

"What are you doing?" She asks curiously, eyeing me up and down. I pour the powder into the bottle.

"Getting Aster a bottle, mother," I fill the bottle with water. "I'm going to take her for a walk to the park," I state and stick the bottle in the microwave and set the timer for twenty seconds.

"Alright, I'll be in my room if you need me," she says and goes up to her bedroom.

The timer goes off for the bottle, I shift Aster to me other hip, and grab the bottle. I screw the lid on, shake it, and feed her the bottle. She automatically tilts her head and takes it.

I head back into the living room, where I left her backpack, and gently put her sweater on her.

"Ready to go for a walk, sweet pea?" I ask sweetly, and she flaps her arms like she always does when she's excited. "Yay! Let's go, princess!" She spits the empty bottle out and giggles. I take the bottle and set her on the floor so I can set up her stroller.

Once I have the stroller set up, I pick her up and gently place her in it. I grab her backpack, and start pushing the stroller outside.

When I'm running with the stroller, I almost bump into a guy with light blonde hair, and piercing green eyes. He looks about my age. I wonder why he isn't in school, seeing as the school's just started back up two weeks ago, and it's a Tuesday. He looks at me, "sorry!" I call. He starts walking over to where I stopped running. I look down at Aster, who's playing with her feet contently in her stroller.

"Shouldn't you be in school?"

"I could say the same thing about you," I reply, and put a hand on my hip, while keeping the other on the stroller handle.

"Why aren't you in school?" He asks, putting a hand on his hip as well, mimicking me.

How am I supposed to answer that? I can't tell a stranger that I dropped out of school at the end of the year last year to take care of my baby sister because my mom is in depression because my dad died not even a month before Aster was born.

"I..uh.." I stutter, "it's none of your business," I say with a smirk.

"Wait, what school do you go to? I don't recognize you." Aster starts crying, I guess she got bored of her cute little feet.

I pick her up, she starts giggling and pulling at my hair. I look back at the blonde guy, who is now staring in awe at Aster. "Is she your baby?" He asks, I shake my head.

"No, I'm only fifteen. Technically she's my baby sister, but I had to drop out of school to take care of her full time when my mom went into depression." I put my hand over my mouth, I just told a stranger that I'm fifteen and I don't go to school like normal fifteen year olds would.

He smirks when he realizes I didn't mean to tell him that. "You seem to have an interesting life-" he's cut off by Aster crying again. She wants more attention.

I look at her, and she smiles, a big toothless smile. I can't help but smile back, she's adorable. "Aww, you're adorable, princess, with your little toothless smile!" I tickle her and she giggles. I shift her on my hip, and look back at the guy, I look straight into his piercing green eyes. "I have an interesting life?" I question, raising my eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah, I was going to ask if I could hang out with you for a bit," he says, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

"I guess so," I say, when I realize I don't even know the guy's name, "only one problem, I don't know your name."

"Oh, yeah, its Cole. You are?"

"Willow, and this is Aster." I say looking down at her again, and bounce her on my hip. "Aster, that's Cole," I say and she flaps her arms excitedly, grinning her toothless smile. "I think she likes you, Cole," he smiles, and puts both his hands in his pockets. He moves closer.

"Hi, Aster."