1

A N D Y

I rush through the woods trying to get back home before Maggie finds out. My breathing is heavy and short and my legs feel numb. I keep running until I come face to face with the safe zones gate. I quickly climb over the gate and jump down, harshly impacting the ground. A groan escapes my lips as I stand up, speed walking to my house because I just couldn't run anymore. I push open the door of the Greene + Rhee household, rushing to my room and lock the door. I unclipped my holster and lay it on my dresser.

I go into my bathroom to start the water for my shower. Once its on, I go back into my room to grab a pair of new clothes. Walking into the bathroom, I strip off my clothing. I slowly step in the warm water letting a sigh of relief leave my lips. I slowly move under water in order for my whole body to be soaked in the clear liquid. I close my eyes and lean against the shower wall, letting the steam consume me. I breathe in deeply. I slowly open my eyes and grab the bar of soap to wash my body, slowly rubbing it everywhere. Before the water washed away the soap on my armpits and legs, I gently shaved the areas.

I squeeze some shampoo into the palms of my hands and massage it into my brown hair. But I make sure not to let any slip into my hazel eyes. I rinse out the shampoo and replace it with conditioner. I left it in my hair for a few minutes just so my hair could get a little more moisturized. I soon rinse it out. I stay under the water until it runs cold. Stepping out of the shower, I wrap the large white cloth around my thin body. Then I wrap a smaller towel around my hair. I stare at myself in the mirror, studying the scar that runs from the left of my forehead to my right eye. It indented it's caramel color to be there forever. I'm very insecure about it. I feel as if people only see it and judge me by the scar. I don't like telling the story of how it happened.

I turn away and begin dressing myself in a plain black shirt and dark blue jeans. Detaching the towel from my hair, I begin brushing it. There were many knots considering I haven't brushed it for a few days. My hair falls just to the middle of my back. I have always thought about cutting it, but I always lost the thought. I tuck the front hairs behind my ear and return to my room. I throw my dirty clothes in the basket and mentally note myself to wash the clothes this week. That's my job around here. To wash the towns dirty clothes.

I sigh and lazily plop onto the bed. I stare at my white ceiling and begin thinking of what I could do. I glance upon my clock and notice its 3:54pm. My gaze then falls upon my book shelf. I stand up and look at the books. I run my fingers over the binder of the books reading the title. My eyes met the book Looking for Alaska. I gently pull the book out and lay back in bed. I open the cover and turn a few pages to begin reading. I was on page 22 when I heard a knock on my door.

I jump up unlocking the door and slowly pulling it open. A smiling man I recognized as Glenn stood with his left hand on the right side of the door frame. "Hey Andy. Maggie wanted me to let you know that we are having dinner at Carols house at 6." He informs me. I snap my head to the clock that read 4:34. I avert my gaze back to Glenn and nod. "Thanks for letting me know." I say slowly shutting the door. Once I heard the door fully shut, I ran back to my bed and turned on my lamp to continue reading my book.

"Andy! Its 5:55! 'Come on its time to go!" Maggie's muffled voice announced threw the door. I shuffle out of bed and put on my much cherished cowboy boots. I leave my room and go downstairs into the living room where Glenn and Maggie patiently waited for me. Slightly smiling, we head out the door and to Carols house. I'm aware that Carol is putting up an act with this whole cooking and nice woman role. I know Carol well enough to know this is not her. But there is nothing I can do.

We reached our destination and knocked on the door. Carol swung open the door and the smell of broccoli casserole filled my nostrils. "Hi! Come in! Come in!" She waved us into the house. We shared a quick hug and then I roamed off. I slowly strolled through the house trying to find a specific person. I soon meet the baby blue eyes I have adored ever since the farm. "Carl!" I say embracing him in a hug. "Andy! How are you doing?" Carl asks. "I'm doing good. You?" I reply back. "Good. Good. Wanna sit by each other at the table?" He suggests. I smile and nod.

Carl and I have been best friends ever since he woke up at the farm. We survived in this shitty world together. We adore each other. Its just what we do. But we haven't talked in a few days from me being kinda of distant and him having a complicated relationship with Enid. Enid and I are friends you could say. I get jealous every once in a while. Ron is no longer with Enid due with his intention of Carl. Ron is kinda off in his own world right now.

It was dinner time and I had sat in between Carl and Glenn. Broccoli casserole and a glass of water was placed in front of me. I thanked Carol and then took a bite of my casserole. I hummed at the deliciousness of the food. I soon finished and drank my water. Everyone was still eating, so I patiently folded my hands and waited. In a matter of 10 minutes, everybody has finished their food and was sitting in the living room. I sat on the floor next to Carl. Everybody was talking to someone except me.

I looked around the room, staring at these wonderful people that have smiles on their faces. I almost forgot the fucked world behind these walls. But now that I think about it, there are people and walkers ready to kill us, while we are sitting in a room acting as if the virus never broke out.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a hand waving in front of me. "What?" I say looking around frantically. "I said I'm leaving now." Carl chuckled. I smile in embarrassment. I stand up and give the boy a hug. He pulls away and gives me a kiss on the cheek. I blush and look down. When I look up, he's gone. I place my right hand where his lips had touched. I rub it slightly and smile. "Andy its getting late. Let's go home." Glenn says pulling Maggie and I out of the house.

When we got back home, I had changed into large PJ shorts and left on my T-shirt. I crawl into bed hoping to have good dreams and no nightmares.

+

+

+