ACT 1 SCENE 1 - A Simple Task.

INT. "WITTER ENTERPRISES" CEO'S OFFICE - LATE MORNING 

(JOHN WITTER, CEO of Witter Enterprises, a tall, grey haired, blue eyed man dressed in expensive clothes taps his fingers against his mahogany desk impatiently. He stands up from his leather chair and paces across his grand office, stopping to gaze out the window at the 30th story view, looking down on a bustling New York City while stroking his grey tie.)

JOHN: (glancing at his designer watch) My, my, late again, are we?

(A loud voice can be heard from outside the office, and after a moment of silence, the large doors fly open, and JASMIJN, a pale-skinned, long-haired brunette with blue eyes matching John's struts in.) 

RECEPTIONIST: (from outside the office doors) Miss, I ask you only to wait out here while I - 

JASMIJN: (not really listening to her) I got it, thanks! 

(She plops herself down in a chair, taking a moment to fix her dress, her hair, etc.)

JASMIJN: (holding up a slender finger, motioning for John to pause) One sec. I had to run up 30 floors, okay? It's not my fault one of your elevators stopped working. If I were you, I'd fire everyone in charge of the elevator thingy, 'cause they're really slacking. 

JOHN: Jasmijn - 

JASMIJN (CONT'D): (rambling)  And really, why do people rely on elevators so much? I mean, you have the money, why not just fly people up to your office on helicopters? Oh, and speaking of flying, my private jet, the one you got me last Christmas? I need a new pilot. Like, stat. One that'll let me fly sometimes, because Mark is just way too uptight, and that really clashes with my personality, y'know?

JOHN: Jasmijn, it's - 

JASMIJN (CONT'D): Totally unacceptable, I know. It's bad for the company if the next CEO of it is always late, blah blah. But for God sakes, does being 3 minutes and 51 seconds late really cause the company to crumble into nothingness? Hm? No. Because honestly Dad, I can be on time to things when I'm in Hell, so...yeah. 

(Finishing the end of her spiel, she shrugs her shoulders, and looks up at John.)

JOHN: Actually, I wasn't going to say that. I called you up here to ask something very important of you. 

JASMIJN: (Sitting back in her chair) Alright then, fire away. 

JOHN: Jasmijn, it's about time we started taking your role in the company seriously. If you want to follow me as CEO, you need to start working for it. So, I have a job for you. It's a very important task that will help the company more than I ever could. 

(Jasmijn sits up in her chair, interested.) 

JASMIJN: That sounds...promising. What is it? 

(John takes a key out of his pocket and unlocks the bottom drawer of his desk, from which he pulls out a WHITE PACKAGE, about the size of a book (in width not thickness) , embossed with a black 'W' on the top)

JOHN: I need you to deliver this package to a potential client out on the West Coast by this Saturday. 

(Jasmijn scoffs)

JASMIJN: Isn't that why we have UPS? Let's just slap a shipping sticker on it and call it a day. 

JOHN: (struggling to stay patient with her) Jaz, a package like this can't be mailed. It has to be hand delivered, and I can't go out and do it. You're the only person I trust enough to do this for me. 

JASMIJN: (softening at the use of her childhood nickname) That's all I have to do? Deliver this?

JOHN: (placing the package on the desk) That's it. Just fly out to San Francisco, drop it off, ride the cable car past Lombard Street like I know you always love to do, and you'll be home in no time, I promise. A pretty simple task, okay?

(A moment of silence follows as Jasmijn stares down the package, thinking it all through. Her mind decides to accept the challenge, so she grabs the package and tucks it under her arm. She nods goodbye to her father, and starts for the exit.)

JOHN: Oh, and Jaz? Take Liam with you, okay?

JASMIJN: (turns to him, confused) My bodyguard? Why would I need him? It's not like it takes two people to deliver a package. 

JOHN: You'll need him, just in case. Bring him along. 

JASMIJN: (cautiously, slow) O - kay. Bye, then.

(John, already preoccupied with an incoming email, doesn't acknowledge her. Jasmijn slips out of his office unnoticed, still gripping the package.)