Chapter 1 - Doodle Bird

~Len's POV~

"Good morning, Len."

The familiar voice I loved so much rang throughout my ears, brining me back to reality and away from my thoughts. I took a moment to appreciate the adorable mispronunciation of the words before replying.

"Morning Oliver!" I grinned at the blond boy, wrapping my arm around his neck and nuzzling my face into his hair. Another attempt. Another reaction I didn't want.

"Ahaha, Len, you're so friendly." Oliver smiled at me, moving his arms up to remove my arm from around his neck, pushing me away gently.

I silently pouted, turning my head away and sighing. I didn't think I could be more obvious, but Ollie just didn't get it.

"You tired?" Oliver is probably the smartest kid in the whole kindergarten. Yet he's probably the densest too.

"Sorta...." I yawned. Now that he had mentioned being tired, I became slightly tired.

"Nap time's soon so you can rest then." Oliver nodded, cheerfully drawing stick-figures in his notebook—from when he sat down next to me—as I sat next to him eating graham crackers and juice.

"Right." I nodded as well. I wasn't going to sleep during nap time. That's when I had all the time in the world to come up with another confession attempt.

We sat there in silence for a while as I finished my snack and Ollie kept drawing. After a while, he tugged on my sleeve and held up the drawing.

I looked over the paper. It was a messy stick-figure drawing of Ollie holding my hand. To me it was the best thing I'd seen in the world, but it was probably just a friendly gesture to him.

"Cute," I said, smiling. I ruffled his hair and he puffed his cheeks out.

"Len! My mother got it just right before I got here!" He complained, frantically trying to fix his hair.

I laughed. "Sorry, sorry."

Oliver huffed and placed the piece of paper back on the table before standing up and heading toward the cubbies. I tilted my head in confusion.

He grabbed his backpack and got something out. A...bird?

"Oliver!" I shouted, but quickly covered my mouth when he put a finger to his lips, looking serious. How long has he had that poor bird in his backpack?! Wouldn't that suffocate it?!

As I kept on thinking of how and why he kept the bird in there, Oliver walked up to me. Luckily for him, there weren't many kids in our class and no teachers were here now.

"This is James," Oliver said bluntly, holding the bird out on his finger to me.

"Oliver, how—?! Why—?!" I couldn't form a complete sentence with how confused I was. The thoughts from earlier still swirled around in my mind.

"Shh!" Oliver pushed his hand over my mouth, stopping my rush of questions. I blushed a bit at the softness of his hand, but I didn't struggle.

I stayed silent, and he hesitantly removed his hand, making sure I wouldn't say anything else.

"I trained him to stay in my backpack for about ten minutes before he starts to climb out." Oliver placed a finger on the bird—James' head. James seemed to like the attention. "He stays in my backpack once I get to school until I can find a moment to take him out." He shrugged it off as if it didn't sound horrible.

"O-oh...?" I smiled awkwardly at him, still a bit confused, but I didn't say anything of course. I couldn't offend my Ollie-bear!

Luckily for me, he was so dense that he didn't see my awkwardness. "Right! So, I have to go to the bathroom. Could you hold him for a while?"

I shrugged and said, "Sure," but I really had no idea what to do with the bird. Oliver let James hop onto my finger, and I almost dropped him from how much weight he added to my finger, but I kept my finger straight to make sure that didn't happen again.

Ollie thanked me and scurried off to the bathroom, leaving me alone. Well, I guess James was with me, but he's a bird, so...doesn't count. I never really liked anyone in my class other than Oliver, so I didn't have many friends. Well, at least that's what I thought. Apparently, everyone else in the class thought I was really cool and they all considered me their friend. Honestly, I couldn't care less about anyone other than Oliver. Not even my own sister! In fact, I despised her. She was so annoying; always clinging to me like she would die without me.... Really, what a brat.... But thankfully she was in another class.

While I was waiting for Oliver to come back, someone tapping my shoulder brought me back to reality.

"Len, why do you have a bird?"

I turned around to see who it was. Piko. He was a nice kid, but I never really got to know him well. I think we all know the reason why.

"Oh, I'm...holding it for a friend...?" I slipped up a bit and made it sound like a question, which made Piko suspicious.

"Really?" The silver-haired boy asked, leaning closer to James and narrowing his blue and green eyes.

"Y-yes...." I huffed softly in annoyance. Really, anyone other than Oliver annoyed me. It wasn't my fault, but I just couldn't handle everyone else. Oliver was the only one who was really...perfect, I guess.

Piko sighed, shrugging as he stood back up straight. "Alright, but you might want to hide it from the teachers."

I sighed as well, but in relief. "Yeah, don't worry, he's trained."

"Really?" Piko looked interested. Oh boy, here we go.... "How?"

"S-sorry, I don't know." I tried to end the conversation as quickly as it had started. I couldn't bear to be around Piko any longer. He was too annoying....

"Oh," Piko mumbled, looking down in disappointment. "Alright." He bowed slightly before leaving. To be honest, I didn't feel guilty for making him leave. I don't think I care about anyone else other than Oliver either. I am a cruel being, huh...?

Oh well~!