Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Smeared dirt.

Ch. 2: Smeared Dirt

I didn't doubt the creature's words one bit.

He leered down at me, eyes alight with mad delight. A "please" bubbled on my lips as I hauled myself back over broken glass. His smile split wider at that word, and he chased me achingly slow. Fear fogged my brain as my palm slid over a heavy splinter from the door.

I was going to die here.

I knew it.

But I didn't want to die like this. On the ground, begging for mercy. I knew he wouldn't give it to me, so why should I even ask?

I wanted to die fearlessly.

Dark talons reached for me, and I lunged with that splinter, just enough to knock his wrist to the side and give myself a second of breathing room. He snarled wetly behind me as I reached the fireside, and the ground shook as he thundered after me, muttering in a rough and guttural language.

I swung up the fire poker, brandishing it like a sword.

The sight of me with my weapon only made him laugh.

"It is you." His purple tongue moved around the edge of his mouth, and his tone darkened with amusement. "You smell of nighttime, little Rider."

"It's me?" My hands were sweating grossly. I eyed the distance to the door, my heart thundering behind my breastbone. I hoped Jenna had gotten away. She was a good runner...maybe she would get to the neighbour's house before this creature managed to rip me limb from limb.

A girl could hope.

"The last one I killed was a lot stronger than you," he taunted. "Fought tooth and nail as I ripped his flesh and broke his bones."

The sudden stillness unnerved me. Neither of us looked away from the other, waiting. Watching.

"You make it a habit of breaking into people's homes?" I asked.

"Only when I'm hungry." Muscles bunched as he shifted his stance, lowering to press a taloned hand against the wooden floor.

Then, a figure appeared in the doorway.

Jenna held out a can of hairspray like it was a cross, her dark green eyes wild. With her other hand, she pressed down on the lighter. Fire belched outwards, and the creature reared back, fear splicing its expression. I dove for the window, throwing it open, only to tumble out gracelessly.

I lay in the bushes for a moment, breathing heavily. Boots crunched to the side of me, and then Jenna was in front of me, gripping my arm painfully. "Get up!"

She hauled me from the bushes just as a mass of flames and flesh jumped through the window. He hauled Jenna up by the back of her jumper and tossed her several feet into the air. She yelped as she landed, her arm pinned under her body awkwardly.

He advanced on her.

Damn it. I swung my poker with abandon, the curved top slicing across his back. The hook lodged in his flesh, and he turned, eyes dark with fury.

"Can't you just pretend that hurt?" I wheezed.

He backhanded me hard. I fell onto the gravel drive, and his foot fell soon after. He pressed his weight down onto my chest, then his knee as he knelt beside me. His rancid breath washed over me, and he gripped my face, talons digging into my cheeks.

"After I break you, little Rider, I am going to tear your sister apart too."

Every breath was a struggle. I pulled at his clothes; slapped him desperately. The corners of my vision flickered, darkness creeping in like an incoming mist. My ribs felt like they were going to fold in—like my breastbone would crack and shatter.