Chapter 1

*Clara's POV*

So there I was, in my car driving to LAX for my early morning flight. I flipped through the radio while sitting in the normal Los Angeles traffic, but couldn't find anything. I should have already been at Mattel Children's hospital, checking on my patients but things were changing. Instead I was flying into Mobile Alabama then driving on into Bluebell, the town that had once been my home.

I pulled into the parking lot and got my bags out of the trunk and sighed. What are you even doing Clara Beth, last time you were in Bluebell was when you were 18. You are 26 now and had your whole life here in Los Angeles. I thought, walking into the airport, I still had a little while to wait for my flight. I didn't dread flying and I didn't dread seeing the people who had once been like family. But what if everyone had changed. I knew I for sure had.

Yes I had spent most of my childhood there and I knew the people, my childhood best friends were there. But my parents moved me and my sister out to San Francisco when I was 8 years old, and she was 4. We had only went back a few times for holidays and when I was eighteen, For Lemon's graduation party. I knew it was only going for the next 6 months but it would be a challenge, I wasn't the same little girl anymore.

I boarded my flight and then looked at the card that I had received a few weeks prior.

                                                                      ________________

It was a normal Tuesday evening, I got off work at the hospital and went back to my apartment building. I picked up to mail and went to my apartment, looking through it. Most of the mail I had gotten was just junk but there was a card from the Breelands, they were good friends with my parents. I opened it and it read:

                      Dear Clara McCoy,

I had spoken with your father recently and he was telling me all about you and your success. He seemed so proud of you and I am so happy you have grown up to achieve your dreams. We miss you and your whole family here in Bluebell and really hope to get to see y'all soon. I was writing you this card, hoping you might be able to do a favor for me. I got this offer to go to Europe for the next 6 months and I really need someone to look over my half of the practice here. I think you would be the perfect person to do so if you would be up to it and could. Hope to talk soon!

                                                                                                                           Thanks, Dr. Brick Breeland

I put the letter down and called my parents and talked to them both about it. I wasn't too keen on the idea at first but the more I thought about it I decided I would do it. So there I was packing to go back to Bluebell, Alabama.

                                                                         ________________

I looked up from the book I had started reading, when the plane started to land and I started to feel more nervous. Was I ready to be here? Would anyone even know me? I gathered my belongings and walked to the luggage retrieval area.

After getting my bags, I went to the car Brick had arranged for me and started the drive to Bluebell. Not much had changed so far, Alabama still looked the same but the closer I got the more anxious I became.

I drove up the little road right into Bluebell, as I looked around it all started coming back. I remembered all the go memories I had here and then pulled into the driveway at the Medical Practice. I walked in and seen the receptionist sitting there at the front desk and she said "May I help you Ma'am?"

I smiled at her, walking up to the desk "I am here to see Dr. Breeland is he here right now?"

She smiled at me and before she could answer me, he walked out of his office and said "Well hello Clara McCoy, I am glad you made it! How was your trip?" He came over and hugged me.

I hugged back and said "It was good, so do you know where I will be staying? I would like to get everything unpacked and when are you leaving?"

He replied "I am leaving in the morning" he looked at the receptionist "Emmeline this is Clara McCoy! She will be over my part of the practice, the girl I was telling you about. Can you take her to where she will be staying and show her around? I want to finish up with these patients."

Emmeline smiled at me "Well Hello I am Emmeline Hattenbarger, its nice to me you! Come on and we will get you settled in."

I smiled at her, I had missed how nice everyone was. I replied "Nice to meet you too, I'm Clara Beth and thank you so much."

We got into my car and she showed me the way to Mayor Lavon Hayes plantation. She was telling all kinds of things and we parked there in his driveway. She knocked and he came to the door "Hello, you must be Clara, who is going to be staying with Zoey. I'm Lavon, The mayor of this town and its nice to meet you. Come on, I'll take y'all over there!"

He grabbed my bags from me and we walked over to the carriage house. I smiled and followed him and he told Zoey I was there. He then looked at me and said "So, you and Zoey share the electricity with Wade in the gate house."

I stopped and giggled "you mean Wade Kinsella?"

He smiled "yeah, you know Wade?"

I nodded and walked into the house, I smiled at Zoey and he told me I would be living upstairs. I walked up there and laid my bags down on the bed, then looked around. It wasn't my apartment in LA but it was cozy feeling.

I walked back down and Emmeline said "Come on and I'll show you around town but you seem to know most of it."

I smiled and replied "I'd love that, some food and maybe a cup of coffee would be great too."

She smiled and we took off walking through town. I was looking around and seeing what had changed since I had been here. Most of it was just the same, like it hasn't changed people had just grown up. I smiled and I seen Lemon over there, practicing with the Belles. That was something she had always wanted, I would have to meet up with her later. Emmeline then said "So Clara, I've heard about you from Brick, are you happy to be back?"

I smiled at her and said "Well I am happy to see everyone again but I will miss my life in Los Angeles too."

She nodded and said "Yes I understand that, so is the Rammer Jammer fine with you?"

I nodded, smiling and walked over there with her. As soon as we walked in I seen the guy at the bar. He looked like he had before, ungroomed but still handsome. I told her where I was going and I went on over there taking a seat at the bar. He said with his back turned "What can I get ya?" He then turned around "Well, if it isn't Clara McCoy! What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in forever!"

I smiled at him and said "Hey Wade Kinsella! I am going to be in charge of Dr. Breeland's half of the practice until he returns. How have you been doing? I've missed you and I heard me and you would be sharing electricity."

He chuckled "oh gosh, you're staying with Zoey and I've missed you too. You should've visited more often! I've been doing good, working here at the bar and hanging out Lavon mostly. Have you talked to anyone else yet?"

I smiled at him and sipped the drink he had made for me "Just Lavon and Zoey, haven't been in town long. They both seem really great! I couldn't visit more I have had no time, with med school, working at the hospital and everything else."

He said "They are you will like them! Oh well look at you being all productive out in the the big city, forgetting your old friend Wade." He chuckled looking at me.

I smiled I had missed this, I had missed him and everyone else here in Bluebell. Not enough to make me leave LA, but it was nice to be here for now.

I was sitting there listening to Wade talk about old times and laughing about some of the things we would do. Usually when we came in it was only a few days but I was usually out with friends the whole time. I smiled and said "Well I need to get back to the house and unpack, I will see you later Wade!"