An Unremarkable Tale

*This is a work of fan fiction and without the genius of Douglas Adams I would not have written in. As such let it be known that I own no rights to this story as I have been very lazy and have merely used characters and ideas that someone much smarter than me came up with.*

Penyforth Kristle, or Sandra for short, lived on the southern side of the milky way on a planet called Sprigernstorn Goch. It was an average planet, the buildings were average, the creatures were average, the culture was average and of course the inhabitants were also average. All in all Springernstorn Goch was an unremarkable planet full of unremarkable people doing unremarkable things.  

It is rumoured in shady pubs down dark alleys that something remarkable once happened on Sprigernstorn Goch but just exactly what this remarkable thing was no-one is quite sure though most are inclined to believe that it almost certainly quite possibly had something to do with a banana. 

Pennyforth Kristle, who from this point on we shall call Sandra as she much rather prefers, was another unremarkable inhabitant of Sprigernstorn Goch and rather liked it that way. She owned a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with its reassuring cover which read 'Don't Panic' and, after reading some rather frightful entries about remarkable planets where you could find 3 headed dogs who would recite Shakespeare backwards whilst juggling spaghetti, she had firmly decided that she enjoyed being unremarkable because at least it meant she could enjoy a lovely cup of trey (a drink not unlike tea) in peace. 

Now on the 6th Sunday of the month on Sprigernstorn Goch all the unremarkable inhabitants would have unremarkable BBQs in the unremarkable gardens of their unremarkable homes or, if they lived in an apartment, on the unremarkable balconies of their unremarkable apartments. The BBQs would last for hours and the people would sing unremarkable songs about just how unremarkable life was and how they hoped it would stay that way for a long time. 

The 6th Sunday of the month in question was particularly unremarkable for Sandra, she was drinking trey whilst waiting for her BBQ to really get going lovely and normal as usual. Well everything was lovely and normal and unremarkable until a rather remarkable ship landed in her garden knocking over her BBQ and, more annoyingly, making her spill her trey.  

From this remarkable ship, which was spoiling Sandra's unremarkable day, stumbled a rather ragged looking man dressed in what was once probably a lovely pair of pajamas and a fetching dressing gown but which were now well worn and obviously so. He had a straggling beard, a bag and a towel slung over his shoulder. 'Ah', she thought, 'a hitchhiker' she'd read the section on towels in ‘The Guide’ and so was aware of their great importance when one was hitching their way around the Galaxy. 

The man waved off the ship as it began to ascend and then headed straight towards Sandra much to her disappointment as she was rather hoping he hadn't noticed her hiding behind her now empty cup and saucer. 

"Hello" he said  

"Oh hello" she replied "Have you travelled far?"  

"Yes" he replied offering no more detail  

'Oh wonderful' she thought 'he doesn't talk much' 

"Would you like something to drink?" she asked  

"You wouldn't by any chance happen to have any tea would you?"  

"Tea? No but I do have trey, you might enjoy that" 

With that Sandra and the remarkable man headed into the kitchen to drink trey and she forgot all about 6th Sundays, BBQs and unremarkable songs. 

Arthur Dent, as he had introduced himself, did in fact enjoy trey it might not have been tea but it made an okay substitute and once he'd drained the dregs from his cup he felt much better than he had but not as well as he would have liked. They'd exchanged more words during the walk from garden to kitchen and in the time it had taken Sandra to make the trey, the conversation was not incredibly important just an exchange in names, a comment on the weather and a brief recount from Arthur Dent of his journey. Lacking in importance it shall not be written here.