.Chapter 1.

"If you don't like Yale, Melody, what about Stanford? You know that's where your mother and I met." My father drones on about different law schools I could apply for.

"I don't know dad. Those are tough to get into." I sat back in my chair at the dinner table, no longer hungry. Our 'family meal time' always turned into what they want my career to end up as. They are both very well-known attorneys in Louisiana and wanted me to continue to family business.

"Oh hun, you know you have the grades to get in. Just apply for all of the ones we suggest and then you can pick out of the top ones. That way you don't have to decide now." I looked over at mom who wasn't even looking at me as she talked. Instead she was nose deep into her phone as always. I looked over at dad who was typing on his MacBook Air like a mad man.

"Sure, I'll apply to them if you wish." I said shortly, trying to end the conversation. They are acting as if I'll be accepted into all of them already. Yes, I'm the class valedictorian, but I hate to assume things like they did. But, I did everything in my power to keep them happy, even if it means giving up my dream to be a professional chef. I could never tell my parents about that though. They would disown me and kick that idea out the door as quickly as I mentioned it.

The rest of the meal went by slowly. I didn't say much as mom and dad were talking about work again or gossiping about the neighbors and friends. I picked at the food on my plate, thinking of all the different seasonings I could add to give it more flavor. I could give Clarissa some tips after dinner to help spice up the meals. Clarissa is our maid, cook, and my nanny when I was younger. I can be more open to her than my own mother, since she isn't around very much. Clare knew about my dream of becoming and chef and she supports me full-heartedly. After all, she is the one who taught me how to cook.

"May I be excused?" I asked, interrupting my parents' current debate on whether Connie is cheating on her husband or not.

"You've barely eaten sweetheart. Everything okay?" Dad asked, actually sounding like he genuinely cares for once.

"I just have a lot on my mind with the end of the year coming up. I have a big turn paper due for English Monday after break."

"Oh that's true fall break starts next week. Go on upstairs and work on it then, you're excused." Dad said before he took a long sip of his wine. I internally deflated, half hoping he would see past my lie and ask what was really wrong.

I picked up my plate and headed to the kitchen and dumped it in the sink. I grabbed a piece of chocolate and quickly headed upstairs before Clarissa saw me as I wasn't in a very talkative mood. I made my way down the long elegant hallway till I got to the far end of the second floor. The second floor was mainly used by me and Clarissa as mom and dad's room and offices were upstairs. I opened my door and closed it lightly behind me and made my way to the balcony.

I threw open the doors and sat down on one of the new patio chairs mom bought for me. I watched the people walk by below me and into different shops. I loved living in the French Quarter for reasons like this. You can be hidden from sight but still see all the world moving around you. Jazz music filled the air as a second line made its way pass our home. I smiled and waved at the newlywed couple. They looked so happy and in love. I sighed and wished I could one day have a taste of love.

I grabbed my favorite book from inside and began reading on the lounge chair on the balcony again. Withering Heights. I quickly became enthralled in the book and only when I couldn't see the words on the page as easily did I realize the sun had set. I looked around and noticed there weren't as many people roaming the sidewalks as usual. I smiled to myself, closed my eyes and listened to the rare silence of the city.

That's when I heard him. His voice was like an angel's, filling every part of my body with its beautiful tone. I quickly looked around to see who owned the voice but came up empty. I quickly tied on my overused converse and backpack. I walked over to the corner of the balcony and started to climb down the grating, happy for the gymnastic classes my parents put me in growing up. I tried to figure out which direction the voice was coming from but the wind was making that difficult. I decided on heading to the right and heard the voice coming louder.

"I've been searchin' baby, searchin' my whole life,

For someone to give all my love to."

My heart fluttered with excitement as I headed closer to the owner of the most beautiful singing voice I've ever heard.

"I've been searchin' baby, searchin' my whole life,

For someone to give all my love to.

I've been searching for my baby,

And I think that could be you."

He has to be around this corner, I thought to myself. But right as I was about to round the corner his voice stopped. I turned the corner and saw people all over the sidewalks covering whoever it was that was playing. I walked along the street and didn't see anybody with a guitar around them.

I mentally scolded myself for not being quick enough. "Now I'll never know." I said to myself. Sighing, I pulled my backpack closer to myself and headed towards my secret spot. I didn't have to worry about mom or dad checking in on me since they are mainly stuck in their offices all day and night and the only time I see them is for dinner.

I slowly made my way towards the river and enjoyed this beautiful Friday evening. It was the beginning of fall so locals were wearing their rarely used jackets that Louisiana heat made almost impossible to wear. Jazz music filled the air and everyone was smiling. I said hello to the gypsies in Jackson Square that I see every day on the way to school and bought my normal bundle of apples from the street vendor Don.

"Free of charge today, Miss Melody." He smiled warmly at me.

"Oh I can't accept that!" I said shocked.

"It's Friday! Beginning of fall break for you. It's nice to do small happies in peoples' lives every once and a while."

I smiled at him. "Thank you so much Don. See you in three days!" I grabbed my bag of apples and headed to my secret spot with a slight bounce in my step.

I crossed the train tracks and climbed across the parked train like a jungle gym till my feet hit the cement of the abandoned warehouse on the other side. I slipped past the locked gate that had a gap just wide enough for me to slip through. I looked around me to make sure nobody was watching before throwing my bag and apples into the busted window inside the warehouse. I climbed in and landed with a soft thud on the hard ground. I picked back up my things and climbed around the old machinery until I got to the very end of the building where the forgotten cargo bay was lifted open wide years ago. I threw my bag on the old mattress I found and drug here. I looked out among the water and listened to the calming waves lapping against the bottom of the building.

"Tranquility." I said to myself, not worried anyone would hear me talking to myself. I grabbed the bundle of apples and walked back further inside till I got to the old white board. I smiled when I saw the new message written on the board for me.

"An apple a day keeps the city rats away." A picture of a shrew rat was drawn running from a mutant apple.

I placed the bundle of apples in the crate next to the whiteboard for the billionth time. When I first came here, I brought an apple to satisfy any hunger that crept in on me. I had forgotten it on the table next to the whiteboard while doodling a portrait of myself on it. The next time I came back I found it missing with a note on the board saying, "Apples are my favorite." With a portrait of Steve Jobs badly drawn next to it.

I erased their message and wrote my new message to my pen pal. "A city rat a day keeps the tourists away." I drew a mutant rat chasing away a group of obnoxious tourists out of the city.

I quietly started to sing to myself the lullaby I heard from the mysterious voice earlier, surprised he hasn't left my mind yet, as I gazed over the small waves in the river. A cool breeze blowing my hair around my face.

-----

New book idea. Comment if you like it or if you dislike it. Criticism is always welcomed. :)

-D