Too late

This is an Elfman X dying!reader where  they have a fight right before the s-class games and they don't make up. When he gets back, she's already gone. Hope you like it.

" Elfman I know your stressed about the s-class test but-"

" but nothing! A real man needs to prove his worth and do his best! And it doesn't help if his girlfriend is constantly over his shoulder, nagging!!"

" I'm not nagging, you haven't slept or even acknowledged me in days! I'm trying to help you Elfman"

" you can help by leaving me alone! Sometimes this real man regrets even going out with you in the first place" he growled and walked away.

That was yesterday. Of course he felt bad about it but he was too focused on training for the games . He also knew you were sick, just not to which extent. You had a terrible heart defect and honestly was just holding on for Elfman's sake. When he was nominated to compete, he immediately went to Evergreen to pair up with. It really hurt you but you never showed it.

It was the day they were leaving for tenrou island and you were rushing to the docks to say goodbye. Once You spotted elfman, he simply turned his back to you. You slowed your pace and an expected wracking cough fit started, causing you to stumble to your knees. Natsu noticed and ran to help you. " take it easy now, (y/n). You know your not supposed to be running." He scolded softly. Natsu was one of the people that knew how serious your condition actually was, along with Wendy ( cause she tried to heal you but failed), Makarov, Makao, and Mira. He rubbed soothing circles on your back like he was taught to do and the coughing eventually stopped. Your squinted eyes actually opened to see a bit of red substance on the hand You were covering your mouth with. Hiding your hand at your side, you looked up, expecting to still see Elfman there but he disappeared. " Natsu, can you please do me a favor?" You asked with a crackly voice, he hesitantly nodded. You reached in your pocket and pulled out the oval shaped locket you made for Elfman. " sneak this in Elfman's pocket. Make sure he doesn't see you do it." You whispered and handed him the locket. He nodded and put it in his pocket. " i will, promise. The boat is about to leave" he said, helping you to your feet. You nodded and pulled him into a hug. " stay safe" you whispered and left. You watched the boat set off to sea, waving to everyone and wishing them luck. You didn't see Elfman but he saw you. He wanted desperately to run up and hug and kiss you but he couldn't handle his mind getting sidetracked, he needed to focus on the games. While he was staring at you, it gave Natsu enough cover to slip he locket into Elfman's jacket pocket.

After the fight with Belcusas and thunderclap:
Elfman collapsed on the ground and closed his eyes momentarily, the locket fell out of his pocket and tumbled near his face. He opened his eyes back up at the little tings of the metal rolling over the small rocks and his eyes locked on the necklace. He winced as he slowly moved his hand over and grasped the locket in his hand, bringing it closer to his face. He opened it and almost started crying. It was a picture of you and him. The Picture on the right was You on his shoulder, you both were holding up the peace sign, your head resting on the top of his. The left one was of you and him in the hospital room, the day you found out about your condition, you two were still smiling. In front of the left picture was a small note. He gently unfolded it and read it.

' good luck, honey. I know you can do it! I love you <3'

He smiled at the note and stared at the pictures for a while until jumping back to his feet, putting the locket back in his pocket, throwing Ever over his shoulder, and jogging to base camp.

7 years later:

When they resurfaced, Elfman was overjoyed when he reached Mongolia, he didn't even ask his rescuers about you. When they arrived at the guild hall and kicked out the twilight ogre members, he looked around excitedly for you. " where's (y/n)?" He asked the partying people. Makao stopped smiling and looked down at the drink in his hands. " she.... I'm sorry, Elfman. She's dead." He said solemnly. He took it as a joke and laughed, walking up to Makao and Natsu who were talking with Makarov. " very funny but seriously. Where is she" it came out more like a demand. Makao scowled and gripped his drink harder. " she died the 2nd anniversary of when you guys disappeared. She was too sick, Elfman." He said. Elfman searched for any hint of him lying but found none. " she... She tried to hold on to hope. She was the only one with hope anymore, that you guys were still alive but we told her you weren't coming back. The first year, she was always away, searching for you guys but the stress was too much for her heart." Makao was crying now, as was everyone who was listening. Elfman slammed his fist on the table, accidently breaking it. " she can't be gone! I need to apologize to her! She was the only thing that gave me hope on that blasted island! I would have been dead if it wasn't for her-" he shouted, Natsu punched him in the face before he could continue. " you think your the only one hurting from this!?! We all loved (y/n)! She gave us all hope! Hell, she was the only one who understood what I was going through and actually listened to me about Igneel. So stop yelling like your the only victim here!!!" Natsu yelled, tears pouring down his eyes. Elfman calmed down and left to your favorite place, a little grassy cliff right infront of a waterfall. Sure enough, there was your headstone. He crumbled before it, his head resting in his hands. " I'm so sorry! " he shouted at the stone. You sat atop of it, looking sadly at the crying man before your resting place. " just read the note silly." You chuckled and a letter appeared in front of your stone. You wrote that note before you died and sealed it in your soul so when you died, you could give it to him. Elfman noticed and opened the note.

Dear Elfie,
Hai! So if your reading this, I'm already in heaven. Also if your reading this, I was right, Take that Makao!! Haha sorry I'm getting ahead of myself. Elfman I'm sorry for pestering you during your training and I forgive you for yelling at me and stuff. I love you with all my heart, I hope you know that. Please, don't be upset about my death, the guild needs a real man to keep it in order. They need my real man.

I love you, goodbye
-(y/n)