Chapter 1: Black And White

Maya is wearing outfit #1.

You can feel it, 

I can feel it,

Like we're both awake and dreaming......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maya's POV

I woke to cacophony coming from the kitchen. Probably Mom trying to make breakfast. 

I sat up and turned on my phone. Great, Lucas texted me at like, 1 in the morning. Did I mention that Cowboy is my only friend? Well, barely anymore. He hangs out with this brunette girl that he never introduced me to.

Maybe they're dating. Who knows?

Not like I care. I don't like Ranger Rick in that way. I got out of bed and went in the bathroom. I put on kind of bold make-up: Foundation, concealer, pink blush, black and gold eyeshadow, bold eyeliner, and EOS lip balm. I picked out an outfit and put it on: a white crop top, black and white hoodie, black ripped jeans, black wedges, and a black beanie. It was pretty cold outside. Maybe like 30 degrees.

I was finally in 9th grade( Well, it's the fifth day in). Lucas usually walks with me to the subway, or Farkle, but those options are gone. I went to the kitchen to see Mom eating leftover potstickers from two nights ago.

Like usual, she didn't notice me. I still can't believe Mom still works at Nighthawk Diner. She was offered at a better job at a cafe called Topanga's but she turned it down. 

I picked up my backpack and exited our small apartment. A cold breeze brushed past me and I had no choice but to shiver. I started walking to the subway station.

~ At school: After history class ~

Ugh, history. Thank God it's over. I walked out the class and headed to my locker. Someone slammed it close and I was lucky to take my hand out before it was smushed. I turned my head and saw no one other than: Farkle Minkus.

I looked him right in the eye. His ' clique '  was behind him. As always. " Hey Maya, let's hook up in the janitor's closet later. Oh wait, aren't you a janitor?" His clique laughed, and people near us giggled quietly. My fists clenched together.

" Minkus, let's be real. Your trash talk is dumb as hell,"I muttered. Someone went " Ooh!" 

Yeah, only one person.

I opened back my locker after Farkle and his clique left. " Hey, Maya." I turned around and saw Lucas smiling. I really wanted to snap at him. Yeah, it happened.

" Oh, so now you talk me? I thought the deal was that you completely shut me out and hang out with that brunette girlfriend of yours. And break our traditons, like walk to the subway station together! You're my only friend, Huckleberry, and YOU KNOW THAT!" I ranted, blinking back tears.

Good thing no one heard me. Of course they didn't, no one gives a shit about me. Lucas put his hand on my arm. I just stared at him.

" Maya....I'm....I'm sorry. I know, we've been friends since Day One, but I know you know what love feels like. And I think I love R...." " Fine, Lucas! Go for it! Just promise me you'll at least walk to the subway with me?" I asked.

Lucas nodded then kissed my cheek. In a friendly way.

~ After school: In Maya's room ~

The white sun shown out of my black window. No, I'm not color blind! It's just everything to me is just.....dull.

I was making a mess. My hair was covered with paint stains, my white shirt was as well, and my hands were even worse. My bedroom floor was covered with paint. I was actually having....fun. I have never really used that word before.

I put my hands in the red paint bucket and drew little hearts surrounding the blonde girl on the canvas. Loud rock music was soothing me. Then the fun was over.

" MAYA PENELOPE HART!"

Oh no. I turned my head and saw an angry Mom appear by my door. She looked me up and down, and at my room. I wiped my hands on my pants, making my pants shine with color. I was using metalic paint, by the way.

" Mom, I...." " Don't Mom me, Maya! You are going to clean this whole mess by yourself, then get out of my fucking home!" Mom yelled at me. I blinked back tears and tried not to sob.

" Yes, ma'am," I muttered. " ' Yes ma'am ' my ass," I heard her mutter on the way out. I locked my door and sank down against it. I cried hard. Life was never fair for me. I try to have fun, but darkness is put upon me right back again.

" Why are you crying?" I turned my head and saw Lucas. Of course. He closed the window and looked around my room. " I was just trying to have fun, Lucas. Like you told me to. But look where it got me," I said, turning off the music.

Lucas gently grabbed my shoulders so I could face him. " W....What did your mom tell you after she saw this?" I softly scoffed. " ' Clean this whole mess by yourself, and get out of my fucking home'. Exactly," I said.

Lucas pulled me into a hug. I loved his warmth. He was the best friend I could ever have.

The one that will never leave. That cowboy.

His phone buzzed and I pulled away. " I.....I have to go. You know, confess my feelings to Riley," Lucas said. I'm guessing Riley is his girlfriend. I punched his shoulder. " Good luck Ranger Rick," I choked out. Lucas smirked then went out my window.

I sighed and went to my bathroom. I wet a sponge then went to clean my floors. 

I need to stay strong. I know there is color in this world.

TBC

So there you have it! The first chapter! A little sad, but don't worry. Riley and Maya are going to meet each other for the first time next chapter. OMG THAT WAS A SPOILER SORRY! Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter. Katy is so rude tho! STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!