Chapter 2: Meeting The Brunette

There's no where else we'd rather be

We're making our own history.....

Maya's POV

~ Time skip: Friday, after school , 5:00~

I walked around New York, with a large satchel on my shoulder. Filled with clothes, my toothbrush, toothpaste, bottles of water, and must importantly: Spray cans. I straightened my white tank top and kept walking.

I made it to an alley and took some spray cans out. Black and white paint, of course. I took out my sketchbook and traced my finger over the perfect lines I sketched. The sketch was of a girl, looking up at the stars.

I blew off some of the debris off the wall and started spraying, copying the sketch. 

" STOP RIGHT THERE, YOUNG LADY!"

I dropped my cans and turned around. A big, bulky police officer towered over me. Oh, shit. I got caught. News reports kept showing my graffitti all over the walls of New York and they were trying to find me. Well, mission accomplished.

" Sir....." " Put your hands up right now!" He yelled. I slowly put my hands up as he rummaged through my satchel. " STOP! WHAT'S IN THERE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" I yelled, trying to not cry. The officer through my bag aside and took hold of my wrists.

" You're under arrest for graffitting over public property, and private property. Anything you say...."

Someone pushed the officer away from me. I heard a soft voice from behind me. I was too scared to even turn around.

" Leave her alone.....Sir! I've seen her draw and spray and it's beautiful! Have you ever seen something so beautiful?"

I finally had the gut to turn around. A pretty brunette wearing a flowing white dress was looking at me. She smiled at me and I gave her a small smile back. The officer finally got off the floor. " Fine! I'll let you off on a warning, ma'am!" He shot back, then walked away.

I started putting my cans back in my satchel. " You didn't even have to do that for me. You don't even know me," I muttered, putting the satchel back on my shoulder. The brunette touched my arm. I turned her way. 

" I did have to do that. Your work is beautfiul. This may sound weird but....I watch you spray these pictures. The stars and graffitti can't be ignored. You caught my attention.....What's your name?" She asked. I softly giggled and said, " Maya. Maya hart."

The girl smiled. " That's a beautiful name. I'm Riley. Riley Matthews. And you owe me one for keeping you from getting arrested," She said, smirking. I grinned back then realized something. Riley.....Lucas's girlfriend! I could help him.

" Yeah, and I have a way you can owe me. You know my best friend, Lucas Friar, right?" I said, grinning in my head. Riley nodded, her face brightening. " He's a little scared to tell you this, but he's in love with you. I know he didn't tell you yet, so there ya go. Don't break his heart!" I said.

I should be nominated for America's Favorite Best Friend.

Riley blushed. " Really? I feel the same way, but I didn't have the guts to tell Lucas. Can you tell him how I feel? Thanks, Maya. Want to have a sleepover? It's already 6:30, and it's getting late. Only if your parents are okay with it," She babbled. I nodded, smiling. Perfect. I know Mom doesn't want me in her ' home.'

~ In Riley's house: 8:00 ~

Mr. Matthews shot me glares as I went upstairs to Riley's bedroom. Probably because I'm kind of trouble in History class. I looked around Riley's room. Very pretty. Much better than my former, broken down room that has leaks.

Riley grabbed my wrist and pulled me to her window seat. I sat down next to her. " Maya...Tell me about yourself. The only things I know about you are that you're Lucas's best friend, you like graffitti and art, and your name is Maya," She said.

Should I really open up to her? I only really officially met her tonight....." You should go first," I quickly said. Riley just shrugged then explained herself:

" Well, my name is Riley. I'm 15. I don't really have much friends. Most of them are not in school. Farkle Minkus and I were friends basically since birth; He's like a brother to me.We still talk and hang out, but not as much anymore. He's usually with the populars and bad boys. He's still nice to me, but is a jerk to everyone else. I like to speak about what's on my mind, but no one even cares anymore. Basically only Lucas cares about what I say. I love him."

I nodded and touched her hand. " Don't be sad, Riley. You have a much better life than me. My dad left when I was little, my mom kicked me out of our house, and I used to love Farkle. But he changed and messed with my feelings. No one even gives a shit about me except Lucas and maybe....you. I'm broken, Riles. And I can't be fixed."

Riley smiled when I called her ' Riles '. " Everyone expects me to be ' Smiley Riley ', but sometimes I just can't. People are hurting and I want to help them. Now, I want to help you. Let's be friends, Maya. We can fix each other and open up," Riley said, then hugged me.

Her warmth made me comfortable. I hugged back then we pulled away. " Since we're best friends now, let me introduce you to the Bay Window. We can talk about our problems, open up to each other, and much more! I don't really share it with much people, but I know I can trust you," Riley said, then stood up.

I turned on my phone. A voicemail from Mom. " Where is a bathroom I can use?" I asked, politely. Riley pointed down the hall and I raced downstairs to it. I locked the door and listened to the voicemail.

" Maya, where the fuck are you? You didn't even finish cleaning your room AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR CRAP ALL OVER THE PLACE! YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU'RE A NEEDY DAUGHTER AND I NEVER WANT TO FUCKING SEE YOU AGAIN! YOU'RE THE REASON WHY YOUR FATHER LEFT! Stay with your stupid friend Lucas AND NEVER COME BACK!"

I turned off my phone and sank down against the door. I cried and cried. Maybe meeting Riley was a good thing, maybe I saw a splash of color in this black and white world. But Riley can't change this. She can't change the way Mom treats me.

" Maya?"

I turned to the door and unlocked it. Riley came in and closed the door. She bent down next to me and wiped away my tears. " What's wrong?" She asked.

" M...My...." My voice broke. I sobbed in her shoulder. She smoothed my hair.

" It'll be okay, Maya. I'm here. I'll help. You don't have to explain if you don't want to," Riley whispered to me, soothingly. I cried in her shoulder. I couldn't stop.

It will not be okay. Nothing will ever be okay.

TBC!

Okay, the ending was a little sad. Katy is so freaking rude, wth. So, there was a lot of Rilaya in here but only friendship Rilaya. BUT DON'T WORRY! THINGS ARE GONNA GET GOOD! Anyways, Riley and Lucas feel the same way about each other. And Maya is literally stuck in the middle, but not for long. Trust me, things are gonna get good. STAY TUNED!!!!!!!