The Princess of Hearts

"OFF WITH HER HEAD!"
The phrase echoes around in my head and it's not difficult to know why.

It was my supposed death sentence.

Until, of course.

I escaped death.

Grabbing the axe's handle was the easy part, making it so the cards couldn't kill me was slightly more difficult.

Yet, of course, it was easy to simply threaten the Queen. Ah, yes. The Queen of Hearts. Strict ruler of Wonderland. Before I came along, that is. You see, those words just unleashed a pure rush of adrenaline, they set my fuse ablaze.

I held the axe against her throat, giggling maliciously. "Now who has the upper hand?" I cackled, all the guards freezing mid-step. "I could always announce something," Pause for dramatic effect. "Just like a coined phrase; OFF WITH HER HEAD!" I twitched my hand before a chain wrapped around my wrist. My eyes flicked to the end of it to see a.... A pocket watch. Yes, a girl with an axe was stopped by a simple pocket watch.

A white rabbit stood at the end, a frown on its pink face. "Now miss, that's not wise." An insane giggle emitted from my mouth as I simply tugged, yanking the rabbit forward as I knocked it to its knees. "Now, thing. That's not wise." My foot rammed into its stomach, sending it flying into the wall from its small weight. I spun the axe around in my hand, a smile dancing along my lips.

"Now," I stated calmly.
"You may now address me as Your Royal Highness, Your Majesty, or my personal favorite, The Princess of Hearts.

A guard went to protest yet I tightened my grip on the axe, yanking the "Queen" backwards with me. "Tsk, tsk, tsk," I sighed. "Don't you see? You don't have a choice! Now, take this pest to the prison or I'll.. How to put this.. Happen to throw my axe at the exact moment you choose to stand in front of me."

Then.. Then, they listened. They showed me my royal chambers, had a new axe made just for me. A ruby red beaut, just like her mother. I hold it now, spinning it around my fingertips as if a child bored in class.

"HATTER?!" I screech, forcing my new servant to rush to my aid. "Yes, my Queen- my princess." My gaze narrows. "I'll ignore the mishap, considering it was your first offense. Clean my axe, and if it's not spotless, it'll be stained a whole new red." I giggle yet again, a one innocent sound now dark with insanity. The mad hatter rushes out, leaving me alone with my own violent thoughts.

"Now, now," I cackle softly, pulling out my dagger as I spin it atop my finger. "They still seem to lack a certain... Respect for me. That should be fixed."

💟

My tall boot heels slam into the tile beneath me as I walk forward. Footsteps echo across corridors, my subjects walking out to their familiar summon. Resting against my throne, I stop to fix my light blue and white dress. A small wrinkle ruins the almost perfect pattern, and I hear someone laugh as they notice. I pull my dagger from the ribbon, clenching it in my fist.

"WHO. LAUGHED."

Silence. "No? No one wants to fess up? Then I guess I'll pick a victim?" My voice carried through the crowd easily, a silence so solemn you'd hear a hair fall from someone's head. No one dared to breathe in fear that I'd pick them.