A Beauty and the Beach

I awoke from the dream again. Her sea green eyes still stared back at me, beckoning me to her. The beach had been bright and warm, but the sky had been dark and lightning had cut across the sky in a violent crash. I didn't know what to make of it.

    Three nights now I have dreamed of the girl, the beach, and the sky. I don't know what to think or what to say. All I know is, I have to get her.

    I looked outside my window at the bleak landscape of a Wisconsin winter. It may have be spring break, but the snow just melted from a particularly warm streak. Now it was back to under freezing everyday, so I will definitely not be going to the Lake Michigan beach over this holiday. 

    But if the beach in the dream wasn't the one only a few miles from my house, then where was it.

    I jumped ten feet in the air when my phone rang, it was loud enough it wake the dead. I picked up and answered it as fast as I could.

    "Hello," I said, my voice stretched in a yawn, I may have been awake, but it was still three in the morning.

    "Hey man it's me," said my best friend Grayson. Three a.m. calls were normal for him. He was one of those people who got excited and had to share their excitement immediately.

    "Look, I hate Wisconsin weather, how about you and I drive down to Florida and hit the beach," I almost choked on my own bile. How coincidental. A melody began to play in the back of my brain as I contemplated leaving.

    "Sure Grayson I'm game," I tell him sleepily. I guess in a few hours I could go pick him up...

    "Great, I'll be over in twenty minutes,"

    "Huh?" But the line was dead. He'd already hung up. With a groan I eased myself out of bed. It was going to be a long couple of days.

-------

    I was packed and ready to leave exactly nineteen minutes later. I finished the note to my parents in exactly twenty, and by twenty-one Grayson had pulled into the driveway with his old junker car. I piled my bag and wakeboard in the back before climbing in shotgun.

    "Dude, why the heck are we leaving at three in the morning?" I complained as he pulled away from my house and slammed on the gas toward the open road.

    "Daytona Beach is eighteen hours away Trevor, and there is no way we're staying anywhere overnight that's not my grammy's beach house. We are making the drive today,"

    With that we jetted down the open freeway, and spent all nineteen hours, a couple bathroom and snack breaks had to be added in, in that rickety car.

    The radio was on, but all I could hear was an enchanting melody.

-------

    At ten o'clock eastern time I collapsed on my guest bed in Grayson's granny's beach house and immediately passed out.

    The sun set slowly over the watery horizon. A girl with piercing green eyes and long, dark hair walked the beach in a flowing white gown. The waves lapped against the golden grains of sand in a serenity that stretched for miles in either direction. It was only me and the girl.  She hummed a beautiful melody, and though I was hundreds of yards away, the song was a clear as a bell. I started to walk through the grains of sand toward her, but each step seemed to pull me further and further away until she was only a pinprick on my field of vision.

    Then, a bloodcurdling scream of wretched and utter agony pierced the air in place of the melody, and I knew, without a doubt that it was the girl, and she needed my help. I tries to move toward her to help, but with each attempted step I sank deeper and deeper into the hungry sands. While the beach remained bright and calm, the sun sank below the horizon, and the light was chased away by clouds of demonic darkness. My nose was only inches from the sand, and then it engulfed me, tearing away my life.