All In a Days Walk

Casey was running. Running from what - you may ask? Someone, Something...

The sound of multiple pursuing footsteps grew nearer with each tree root Casey had to avoid, whoever or whatever was chasing her was fast. The once beautiful and peaceful forest that allured Casey to enter in the first place was gone, replaced with a dark maze designed to trap her within its thorny clutches. Her breaths were beginning to grow shorter, the fatigue taking a grip onto her lungs and legs causing them to burn with exhaustion.

One thought was locked in her mind as she pushed forward narrowly missing a low hanging branch: I have to get out

Suddenly a ravine appeared sending Casey tumbling down the embankment. Twigs scratched her skin as she rolled further and further into the darkness. She had no knowledge of what awaited her in the ravine, although it frightened her, her thoughts were elsewhere. What had been chasing her? Was it people? Animals? Both?

The sound of a twig snapping in front of her broke Casey from her thoughts, then another and another. The constant sound of breaking twigs drew nearer accompanied with the sound of footsteps. Thump - Snap, Thump - Snap, Thump - Snap, Thump - Snap.

A large grey wolf appeared in front of her, it approached her cautiously keeping its head at an unthreatening level. Casey stood from her crumpled heap on the ground; she rose but kept her eyes on the large grey wolf. She stood there frozen, not in fear but in awe. She’d never seen such a beautiful creature, its grey fur glistening in the small amount of sunlight able to sneak through the dense treetops.

Its shoulder muscles rolled beneath its skin as it took an unsure step towards her, as if it was asking to come closer. A small smile played on Casey’s lips and she gave the animal a small nod of her head – like a silent language between them.

The wolf rose its head happily and trotted over to where Casey stood, the huge wolf stood tall and sat down in front of her waging its bushy tail to and fro. Sitting down the wolf’s head was in level with Casey’s and she looked into the creatures beautiful blue-green eyes. Hesitantly Casey reached out her hand and placed it delicately on the wolf cheek, a burning sensation ignited in her hand causing her eyes to widen slightly, shocked she looked back into the wolf's eyes to see his wide with excitement. His tail wagging faster causing nearby leaves flutter into the air, he lent his cheek into her hand more making the odd sensation course through her body.

A sudden growl broke their tender moment and the grey wolf in front of her froze, his wagging tail paused mid-air. Casey could she the emotions flash through the wolfs eyes, anger, frustration, fear

Rising from its sitting position the wolf moved so that it was standing at Casey’s side, another small growl caused Casey to jump and she buried herself into the side of the wolf. It’s tensed muscles relaxed slightly as she hugged onto the beasts fur. Despite a rational voice nagging Casey’s mind she blocked it sound, the voice beginning to fade into the slight breeze flowing past, Casey! You’re hugging a giant wolf! It’s going to eat you! The now gone thoughts brought a smile to her lips, despite the fact she was indeed hugging a giant wolf – she didn’t feel scared the slightest bit. It was comforting to be this close to the beautiful creature. Yet again another growl broke her from her thoughts and a giant black wolf appeared. Its fur was as dark as it’s surroundings making it almost impossible to distinguish it from the darkness of the ravine.

The grey wolfs muscles tensed again and he nudged Casey so that he was positioned between her and the dark wolf. Unlike the peacefulness and calmness Casey had felt from the grey wolf, the dark wolf only reeked of evil.

“I see you got to her first…” A dark voice wafted through Casey’s mind appearing to have come from the dark wolf

Stunned Casey reached forward for the comfort of the grey wolf, seeming to feel the fear and confusion from Casey the wolf turned and faced her. His blue-green eyes twinkled offering Casey some comfort.