Chapter 4: Colors

I think I'm just going to do the whole story in Maya's POV until further notice, idek.

We can go to the moon and back

To the moon and back

Without ever leaving......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Time skip: Wednesday , school~

Lucas this. Lucas that. Lucas was all Riley could talk about. At this point, I wonder why I'm even her friend. 

Ever since I started living in the Matthews' residence, I've been cleaning up my act. For example, not being rebellious anymore. Well, graffitti is still rebellious, but I'm never stopping that. I've also been doing better in History class.

In class we learned about wars. Rebelling. The bell rang and everyone rushed out. Riley waited for me as I put my books in my bag. I slung my bag over my shoulder and we walked outside to the hallway. " Oh, why did you wait for me? I thought you'd be walking to lunch with your new boyfriend," I said, a little annoyed.

Riley smirked at me. " Are you jealous? Oh wait, I literally just answered my own question in my head," She said. We walked inside the cafeteria and got lunch. We went to a table where no one was sitting. Great. Peace and quiet.

Riley twirling her hair was really distracting. And kind of atrractive.....

What the hell, Maya? What are you thinking?

I mentally slapped myself and took a bite out of my PB&J sandwich. " Um...Can you take me to the alley again later?" Riley asked, breaking the silence. I just shrugged. On Saturday, Riley added so much color in the picture.

Instead of a girl crying in the rain like I pictured, Riley changed it to a girl dancing in the rain smiling with the sun peeking out the clouds. After that, I started using the nickname ' Smiley Riley ' for her. " So....Are you and Lucas dating? Is it official?" I said in a fangirl voice.

Riley giggled. " I don't even know. To be honest, I think he's ignoring me. Ever since after the day we kissed. Maybe he loves me but just wants to be friends?" She said in a worried tone. I reached over the table and touched her hand. " The only way to find out is to talk to him," I said, stating the obvious.

" Yeah, I guess," Riley muttered. 

~ After School, In Riley and Maya's Room ~

I sat by the bay window, sketching a picture, adding color in it. Ever since I met Riley, I've been discovering different colors. Pink, blue, red......Especially yellow. I've been waiting for Riley for over an hour. Obviously talking to Lucas helped.

I wasn't even paying attention to my sketch so when I looked at the finished product, I was a little confused. The sketch I drew was a brunette girl and a blonde girl, under an orange blossom tree, with their hands on each other cheeks.

And the girls looked just like Riley and me.

I heard the window opening. " Ooh, can I see your picture?" Riley. I threw the sketchbook on Riley's bed and said, " It looks horrible." Riley laughed. " Sure it is. Your pictures are amazing. Why won't you let me see it?"

Oh shit. I can tell Riley is the kind of person who will fight until she gets what she wants. " I...I won't let you see it, b....because it's a sad picture. So sad that I had to make it black and white. Yeah," I lied. I ran to Riley's bed and hid the sketchbook behind my back.

Riley tried to get the sketchbook, but I kept running away from her. I raced downstairs, with her on my tail. " MAYA!" She yelled. " RILEY!" I mocked her. We kept running around the living room until Riley tackled me.

I groaned. Riley got off of me and looked at the sketch. I covered my face. Now she's going to figure out......

" This is really pretty, Maya. I'm glad you're happy again and used colors. What's the meaning of the picture, anyway?"

I gulped. Now she's really going to figure it out. " Um.....Just that best friends are going to be there for you until the end of time, that's all," I half lied. Riley just nodded and helped me up off the ground. We went back upstairs to the bay window.

" Okay, so I talked to Lucas, and he's thinking about whether or not we should be in a relationship. I was too.....I'm not even sure, Maya. I always thought love was for suckers, but now I have no idea what to do! Help me!" Riley explained.

I scooted closer to her and took her hand. " Well, I think hope is for suckers. I stopped hoping for things because it didn't work. All my happiness faded away because hope didn't work for me. But this is about you. And if you love Lucas that much, then tell him that. Things change, Riley. For the better or not. Maybe your thoughts on love will change and you will get to be with Lucas."

Riley wiped away a tear and nodded. " I love you, Maya."

My hands trembled as I took that in.

She loves you, Maya. Not in love with you.

" I..I love you too, Riles," I said after a few minutes. Riley wrapped her arms around me and hugged me. I hugged back. Her warmth was my everything. Her smile was my everything. Everything about Riley made me feel .....wanted.

After what felt like an hour, Riley and I pulled away from each other. " Let's get away from the topic of me. What about you? Any guys you're crushing on?" Riley asked, curious. I shook my head. " Of course not. No guys give a shit about me, remember? Well, except Lucas, but he hangs with you so....."

" Oh no, I'm stealing your  best friend since birth, am I? I'm so sorry, I never wanted to steal Lucas from you. You can hang out with him for the rest of the week if you want! I really need to figure out my feelings for him anyway," Riley interrupted.

I laughed and gently punched Riley in the arm. " Jeez, Riley. It's okay. The best friends since birth usually start to float away from each other when you hit high school," I assured her. It was getting late so we got ready for bed.

I went in the bathroom and took a nice shower. I soaked myself, rinsed, then got out. I just changed into sweatpants and a white cami and put my hair in a messy ponytail. I brushed my teeth then exited the bathroom so Riley can get ready for bed.

Mr. and Mrs. Matthews expanded Riley's room so they could fit in a bed for me. I said they didn't have to, but they did anyway. I have a medium sized trundle bed. Now, I have a little area for all my stuff and Riley still has her big area. I put up most of my sketches all around the room, to make myself comfortable.

Riley got out of the bathroom and went under the sheets of her bed. I did the same.

" Night, Peaches," Riley muttered. My eyebrows went up. " Peaches?" I asked, a little confused. Riley giggled. " A new nickname! Catch up!" She teased. I rolled my eyes and fluffed my pillow.

" Okay, let's try that again.  Good night, Peaches," Riley said, turning off the light.

" Night, Sunshine."

TBC

Okay, this chapter sucked. It was sooooo horrible. Maybe the next one will be better. Btw, should I make a status book? I probably will, soon. Anyways, STAY TUNED!!!!!