Chapter 1: The Beginning of the End

It was August 12, 2016. Just a normal day in Los Angeles, nothing weird or bad things happening, just normal. Until the news announced that science evolved in a molecular level. The news said that scientists were genetically engineering super soldiers. All of mankind felt relieved because of this "miracle" but I didn't like it one bit.
I was in school that day, I was 16 back then and I was in the SMSALA (Specialized Math and Science Academy of L.A.) And I considered myself a good student in the academy thanks to my friends: Edgar, Natasha, Johnny, Elizabeth and Rose. Oh I forgot, my name is Jimmy Callaghan and this is the story of when the world became our worst enemy.

August 12, 2016, 12:00pm in cafeteria at SMSALA.
-What do you think guys?- Johnny questioned.
-About what?- we said.
-About the news- Johnny said in way that he was telling us "idiots".
-I think it's cool- Edgar replied with enthutiasm.
-I don't know guys, it sounds cool and all but I think is a bad idea- I replied in a worried way.
-Dude how can you not like this next gen shit? It's fucking awesome!- Edgar and Johnny said worried and with a lot of enthutiasm.
-I know guys, but what worries me is what other genes did the scientist mix up down there in the lab- I explained.
-True- Edgar and Johnny said.
-Hey guys can you hook us up? We are kind of lost here- the girls said in a stupid way.
-Sorry, this is man stuff- we answered in a confident and manly way.

August 13, 2016, 3:00pm in school yard.
-Okay guys now that we have free time we can calculate the possibilites of how many genes or what genes can absorb or enhance in a molecular and still survive and also...- I explained to the guys in a serious way.
-Ahem- Natasha interrupted me.
-Are you guys really gonna calculate all that shit for no reason?- Natasha questioned in a worried way.
-Well, I'm not gonna calculate none of that shit because I'm...- Edgar said in a cocky way.
-Lazy we know- we interrupted Edgar.
-Exactly, you guys know me so well- Edgar said.
-Now I'm gonna read comics- Edgar said with enthutiasm.

August 13, 2016, 4:00pm outside the school.
While we were talking for about an hour, I felt a strange pop in my ears.
-Hey guys did you feel that?- Rose asked worried.
-Yeah- we answered.
-Maybe the pressure dropped- Johnny explained.
-What made it drop?- I asked.
Moments later the main siren of the city hall started to alert all the citizens of L.A. to evacuate or to seek refuge.
-Guys what do we do? What do we do? WTF are we gonna do?!?!- Edgar says in an ultimate panic attack.
-Dude chill- I said.
-Guys WTF is that?!- Elizabeth pointed behind us with panic.
-Well it's green, full of clouds, looks like a storm, I think it's a radiation storm- Johnny and I said at the same time.
-Cool!- we said simultaneusly.
-Okay... every man for himself!- Johnny yelled.
-Johnny, you bastard!- we yelled.
While we were running, the military announced that a few meters away there is bunker. When we got there the gatekeeper of the bunker said "the people 18 years old and below can enter". The only persons who entered were Natasha, Johnny, Rose, Edgar, Elizabeth and me. Before I entered, I saw a mother looking at me, she had a baby with her and she wanted me to take him.
-I can't take him- I said apologetically.
-Yes you can!- she yelled with tears.
I took the baby and felt bad by doing so. I saw the mother's face, she looked relieved and that kind of helped me feel better.

August 20, 2016, 12:00am. 8 days have passed in the bunker.

-Johnny, the baby is crying. It's your turn to take care of him- Natasha said.
-Why did Jimmy take the fucking baby it's fucking annoying- Johnny said irritated.
-Where is he by the way?- Johnny asked.
-He is probably sleeping- Natasha said.
I couldn't ignore what happened that day, I made one of my toughest decisions in my life that day. As I kept thinking about it, I started to think of what could have happened to all the people outside the bunker and I kept that thought in my head for quite a while.

August 21, 2016, 9:30am in the bunker.

-Hey guys have you ever thought of what happened to all the people out there?- I asked.
-Nope- They answered.
-How much time have we been in here?- I asked.
-For about nine days- Edgar answered.
-Why do you ask?- they said.
-Because I don't see hope in this shithole, I can't keep living like this, I have to see what's out there, I can't take it anymore!- I explained enraged.
-Dude, you don't know what's out there, so calm the fuck down!- Edgar said in a worried way.
-Guys, the baby has a high fever. A very high fever!- Rose and Elizabeth said worried and panicked.
-I'll go outside and look for supplies and medicine, at the same time I will investigate the outside world to see if it's dangerous or not- I said confidently.
-Jimmy, stop talking bullshit, we won't let you go out there- They said.
-Then try to stop me- I said in a cocky way.

Third person narration Jimmy:

As Jimmy pressed the button to open the door to the outside of the bunker, he felt relieved and ready to explore the outside world. While Jimmy was running, he grabbed the bag of supplies for survival that he prepared for the journey and had left last night next to the door. When he finally got out, Jimmy yelled back to his friends -"When I get the medicine I will come back. I promise!"- As he turned his head forward, something unexpected happened, he saw something that scarred him for life...