(1/5) Play My Song

"Mr. Winchester..."

"Yeah Doc? How is he holding up?"

"We have him resting as of right now, Dean, but there is something I need to discuss with you..."

"...shoot."

"Dean, we did a full analysis of his condition, and it does not yield positive results."

"What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

"Please do not get defensive with me, Mr. Winchester. We're doing the best we can."

"... fine. Then what the hell's wrong with him?"

"Our test results reveal that he is suffering from advanced stages of pancreatic carcinoma."

"..."

"Dean... Castiel has cancer of the pancreas. We do not know what has caused this occurrence; he does not fall under standard criteria for a candidate, but we did a full check and determined that he has been suffering acute signs for almost six months."

"Is it... treatable?"

"Dean... this is what we need to discuss. Acute symptoms of this disease have been prominent for the past several months, but from what we can see of the spread of the disease, he's had this for nearly three years. He's well beyond the earliest stages of the disease progression. Had we have found this when he first contracted the illness, he would have had a chance for surgery."

"So that's it? You're just gonna let him get worse without even trying?"

"Dean there is nothing we can do for him. The cancer has spread from his pancreas to many of his other organs; there isn't even a reliable way to remove the mass without damage to anything vital."

"... how long?"

"At best, we give him six months to a year. We could try sending him to a cancer clinic out of state but there are no guarantees."

"He'd never do it. Being locked up like that."

"That is the only other option I can give you. I'll let you two discuss for yourselves, but at most all we could do is make him as comfortable as possible until then."

"Fine... can I go see him now?"

"Yes, he is awake at this time."

"Yeah ok..."

"Dean... I'm sorry. I really am."

"I'm sorry too..."

It wasn't going to be any apocalyptic war that claimed him; an epic end to his life. It was probably one of the most humiliating, debilitating diseases he could contract. Dean couldn't believe that after all they had been through together; Castiel was going to die by one of nature's own curses. And it wasn't like there was any fucking thing they could do about it.

Pancreatic cancer. It wasn't any way for an ex-Angel of the Lord to die. Castiel deserved at best to die in battle, defending what he truly believed in. It was a cruel twist of fate that everything he had worked to defend, and then finally fell for, was going to kill him three years after his final sacrifice for humanity; for Dean.

Sam had mocked the two in good faith after the world didn't end, for becoming so sickeningly domestic. Of course, feelings for each other had grown noticeably between the two of them during the whole ordeal, and in the final battle with Lucifer, Castiel gave it his all, ultimately wasting away his grace and fell to humanity. But they had succeeded. They stopped the end of the world!

Of course it had taken a bit of time for Castiel to come to terms with the fact that he was no longer an angel; being cut off completely, fallen to humanity had weighed heavily on him, but the weight of the impending Apocalypse on their shoulders being gone meant that Dean could finally open up to Castiel and express his feelings; oh, what a relief it had been! The moment the words left his lips, he knew he had made the right choice, and the relief-washed kiss the ex-angel had swept him into sealed this promise in his heart.