Chapter 1

I've only heard stories of Earth. How it used to be an oasis. There were different climates everywhere, wide oceans, loving animals, and at least some peace between humans. Ever since people thought they were being oppressed, different militias were formed to fight the government. Mercenaries and just regular people joined to fight for money, food, water, and freedom they already had. Well, the big picture had freedom, but that should be enough…right? Either way, I somehow ended up joining a militia in America: Silivius. They were known for fighting with honor and never using firearms. However, there is no such thing as a fight with honor; somebody will always look for the shortcut to get the “unfair” advantage.  That’s why I’m the only Silivius solider left, I understood that. What I didn’t understand…is how people could kill each other in cold blood, or kill each other for pieces of paper. It doesn’t even matter now. After 50 years of fighting, the government decided to end it with nuclear, chemical, and biological warfare. Not only did they destroy the planet, they destroyed half of their own. In a quick effort to save our race, the superpowers of the world decided to make spaceships to escape this godforsaken rock. They succeeded, leaving nearly 1,000 people behind scattered across the Earth, so I’ve heard. So, now I’m here, Amaria of the Silivius. Walking this wasteland to find a group of people with a common goal; regroup, rebuild, and repopulate. I’ve been walking alone for about 2 years now; my last companion has died from a parasite. I don’t know where I am, far north I assume, since it’s so tropical. God…I hate being so alone.

                                                                           ~~~

               After thinking about the past, I ended up taking an unexpected nap. I stood up and let out a groan. My back is killing me, I’m extremely sweaty, and could barely breathe. I guess I fell asleep in an awkward position. Oh well, I don’t have time to think about how it happened. The fact is that it happened. I can’t fix that. I stretched, dusted myself off, and picked up my sword. It’s gotten really light over the years. Despite it being at least 30 pounds, I can move it with ease. I tapped on the gauntlet on my right wrist. A small hologram screen came in front of my face. Time: 13:02, Location: Washington D.C. Date: December 5th . So, I’ve been asleep for at least an hour. I tapped it again, the hologram now showed different information. My temperature: 34.28 degrees Celsius, Outside temperature: 29 degrees Celsius, Radiation level: moderate, Water source: low. I better find some water then. I wrapped my sword around my waist and went off down the stairs. I was in some 20 story building. I could tell because the moment I went to the stairwell I saw floor 20. They’re gray vines and dust everywhere. I wonder what this building was even for. It looks outdated. Then again, everything is outdated now. Man, it’s even stuffier in here than where I slept. I still kept going, just a little faster. 5 minutes later I finally reached the lobby. Outside was even worse than inside. It’s so barren, the streets covered with ash, dust, and fallout. D.C. must’ve gotten the worst of all the other capitals. I walked out the door and looked both ways. I didn’t see anything. No humans, no animals, not even plants. I again tapped my gauntlet. Nearest water source: 8 kilometers Northeast. I looked at the compass on the bottom right corner of the hologram. Northeast is straight ahead. I dismissed the gauntlet and went off on another long lonely walk.

                                                                           ~~~

               I kept looking at my gauntlet to what seemed like every 5 minutes. It felt like 5 hours. Everything I see is just emptiness and destruction. No sign of life anywhere, except the occasional cockroach I see. I decided to take a breather and rest by a broken building and checked how far I was from the water source. New water source: 5 kilometers Northeast. I dismissed the gauntlet. How could I be 5 kilometers away? I’ve been walking forever…alone. I sighed and took off my backpack: a pentagonal container made of carbon fiber. It holds several things: anti-toxins, my water, basic first aid, and a kit to attempt to care for my sword. I opened the pocket containing packs of fresh water and took one. I was parched. It felt as if the moment I opened it, it became empty. I drank it that fast. I put my pack back in the holder on my back, stood up, and proceeded to move forward. Making sure I check every detail within my vision as I was walking. I didn’t want to miss a single sign of life. My suit began to tighten. I checked my gauntlet to see the conditions outside. Temperature: 23.2 degrees Celsius. The only stat it showed me, the only statistic that changed. It is December, but the temperature shouldn’t drop that much so quickly. Wait…what time is it anyway? Time: 15:29. I’ve been walking for two hours. It still shouldn’t be so cold in the middle of the day. It doesn’t matter, I’ve never been the one to question things. I just kept walking.