Chapter 1

Brandy woke up in her tiny apartment above the busy street. The world seemed to spin around her mockingly. She sighed and got out of bed. She got ready for work, like she did every morning. She put on clean clothes and took a deep breath. She was prepared for what the day would bring her.

Work was slow as usual. She worked as a bartender, but the day shift. Hardly as exciting as what she expected, but not as dangerous. Make the drinks, make sure everyone pays for everything, the usual bartender jobs. Multiple televisions were switched on to sports of multiple varieties; football, hockey, soccer, even baseball. There was one screen that featured the news, but no one ever bothered with that. Brandy would glance over at it occasionally, but no more than that, just to make sure the screen was not broken. The other workers were making themselves busy by cleaning up and making small talk with each other. Brandy glanced up at the television with the news playing and noticed they were talking about a sudden increase in gang activity. The male announcer droned on and on about one gang in particular that seemed a bigger threat than any others. They were called the Street Phantoms, mainly because the gang members all wore white masks that covered the upper half of their faces, making it hard for the police to identify them. This interested Brandy, and she continued to watch. They have no idea who the leader could be, what the gang's intentions could be, what they are or could be planning, or what to do about them. Police officers say that they will arrest them when they can. If they can, Brandy thought to herself.

Brandy walked home that day pondering where her life would lead her with that piece of information. If she could join the Street Phantoms, she definitely would. She thought about this for hours on end. Where are these mysterious gang members? What would she do if she found them? Would they let her join them? She shook her head in response to her own question and walked back to her apartment. She would never be able to join the Street Phantoms. What a ridiculous thought.