The meeting

Gemma threw herself on the bed. She was exhausted. She'd been living in the orphanage since she was a baby, but working there was a whole different story. Gemma was turning 27 soon. The orphanage had always been her home, and she had no plans of changing that. It took less than a minute before Gemma was asleep. Still in her jeans, converse and hoodie. 

It didn't take long before Gemma was woken up by the doorbell. If the doorbell rang in the middle of the night, it was usually Gemma's job to open the door. Her room was the closest to the door, so it seemed only fair.
   "I'm coming, I'm coming..." Gemma shouted half-awake as the doorbell kept ringing.
    Gemma opened the door to find a tall, thin, grey-haired man in a sharp velvet red suit standing outside the door.
   "Can I help you?" Gemma said whilst leaning her head on the door.
She didn't think of the sorry state she was in. Dark makeup smeared around her eyes, and her pixie haircut looking like a birds nest on top of her head.

   "What kind of place is this?" The man said seriously. Gemma looked up, signalling the sign above.

"An orphanage?" Not as much a question as a statement.

The man pushed Gemma out of the way and made his way inside the house.

"What on earth do you think you're doing, mate?" Gemma said as loudly as she could without waking the house. The last thing she needed was all the kids waking up to see a strange man walking around the house.

"John Smith, Scotland Yard." He said, holding up an ID. "Just a routine check on... orphanages." He said while looking around the house.

"Right..." Gemma said sceptically. "Isn't it a little late for that?"

The man looked over at a clock on the wall. 2:46am.

"You can never be too careful." He smiled at her. 

The man had been walking around the house talking nonsense for over an hour when he finally decided to leave.
   "Thank you for you corporation, miss..."
"Smith. Gemma Smith." She smiled. "I take it you're not my father?"
The man half laughed. "So you don't just work here?"
Gemma kept her smile. "Been here all my life, officer."
The man's smile vanished. "I'm sorry. It's not easy growing up without parents... I should know."
They both smiled at each other. The man walked away without another word.

The next morning Gemma awoke to a quiet house, which wasn't at all normal. She looked at the clock. 12:23. Gemma got out of bed, still wearing the same hoodie and trousers from the night before. She made her way out the door. She walked outside every day, even if she didn't have anything to do, or any specific places to go. She just liked the fresh air of a new day. She decided to make her way down to Waterloo. She always liked to watch the tourist by London Eye. She had never been outside of London. Watching the happy tourists taking pictures of Big Ben, the Themes, themselves, and even sometimes just the streets, made her wonder how it was to see a brand new place for the first time. To take in new cultures and landmarks. Gemma's mind was wondering so much that she made it all the way to Waterloo before noticing that something was wrong.
She looked around her, taking her large headphones off her head. She felt her knees wobble. Nevertheless, she managed to run. She ran past London Eye and up at to Westminster Bridge. Alone. Gemma was all alone.
She thought back. She hadn't seen anyone today. The house was empty, no cars, no planes, no people. She had been too occupied with her own thoughts, and looking down rather than up to notice everyone was gone.
Is there a big event today? No.
Is his a prank? No.
Am I dreaming? No.

None of the ideas coming into her head made sense.
Gemma ran. Ran as fast as she could back to the house. It was the only place she could feel safe.
Gemma ran up to her room, threw herself on the bed, put a pillow over her head and started to cry.
"This is just a dream. Just a dream. Just a dream!" Gemma sobbed into her pillow.
She had no idea how long she'd stayed in her bed when she heard glass shatter. 

(Just like to point out that this is my very first fanfiction. I'm really excited about continuing this story! I'm open for critics, but not mean comments. Thank you!)