Chapter 5: In The Stars

We're right here and we're gonna write a story,

Written in stars, like graffitti, can't ignore it.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Time skip, Saturday morning ~

My eyes opened and adjusted to the light. I looked over at Riley's clock. 9:00. Riley was still peacefully sleeping. I stretched then got out of bed. I opened the shades at the bay window and went over to Riley's bed. " Wake up, Sunshine. Aren't you a morning person?" I whispered, shaking her.

Riley's eyes fluttered open. " Not on Saturdays!" She said, groggily. I laughed. " Well, fine. Stay here. You better be out of bed when I'm done getting ready," I said, then went to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

Lucas wanted to meet up at the alley. He said, and I quote, " We never hang out anymore. I don't want you to think that I'd choose Riley over you." Ugh. Him and Riley are so alike, that it's unreal. I dried my face and did light make-up: Foundation, concealer, teal eyeshadow, mascara, light pink blush, and nude lipstick. I changed into a blue greenish ' PINK ' tank top, black sweatpants, and white Converse.

I put my hair in a ponytail then exited the bathroom. Riley was sitting on her bed, yawning. She went in the bathroom and I went downstairs, where Mrs. Matthews was making breakfast. " Good morning, Mrs. Matthews," I said brightly, sitting down at my usual spot at the table.

" Morning Maya. I'm making eggs. In the meantime, you can make a bagel to go with it," She said, turning her head to me. I nodded and opened the fridge, getting the bag of blueberry bagels. Riley came down the stairs, wearing a blue polka dotted dress with white flats.

I put two bagels in the toaster then sat down next to her at the table. Matthews finally came downstairs, looking tired as ever.

I took out the bagels and placed them on my plate and Riley's. Mrs. Matthews served the eggs then we ate. Like a family, kind of. I never ate breakfast, lunch, or dinner with Mom. Always me, myself, and I.

After breakfast, I picked up my satchel of spray cans and took a subway to the alley.

~ At the Alley, 11:00 ~

You'd think hanging out with your best friend again would be amazing. Instead, it was the total opposite. Lucas kept asking me for advice about Riley. The damn topic was always on Riley! I finally had enough.

" Lucas, I missed you. A lot. Riley took over your time and you really ignored me. Now, we're together again. But I don't want us to just be talking about Riley the whole time," I blurted out. Lucas looked down and didn't say anything.

" Sorry," He muttered. I took out a red spray can and tossed him it. Lucas immediately smiled. This was a tradition we do all the time. I toss him a spray can, he smiles. Then, he acts like some blue print guy and looks over my sketches and chooses one. I say either yes or no. Then, we spray.

" Um....How about this one?" Lucas asked, showing me the sketch. It was one of my recent ones. A boy and a girl standing on a rainbow, that was in the stars, up in space. I nodded and smiled. " Oh yeah." I took out black, white, red, green, yellow, and more cans.

I started spraying the stars and the black sky while Lucas did the big rainbow. After that, I sprayed the girl while he sprayed the boy. We stepped back and looked at the masterpiece. Lucas looked at me and put his arm around me. I blushed.

" I missed you, Maya," He muttered, kissing my forehead. I smirked. " Of course you did, Huckleberry. I'm worth missing." Lucas laughed and helped me clean up the cans. After that, we went to his house and ate sandwiches.

~ 3:00, Riley and Maya's room ~

I finally made it back to Riley's apartment. I took off my sneakers and put them by the door. I ran upstairs, into me and Riley's room. She was sitting at the bay window, looking at something. Riley turned to me and almost squeezed me to death with her hug.

" RILEY!" I yelled, signaling her to let go. Riley giggled and pulled away from me. " Where have you been??? You've been for like, six hours!" Riley complained. I laughed and pulled her to the bay window. " I was with Lucas. Hey, it was you who said I could hang out with him all week!" I said.

Riley fake pouted. " I was kidding! You're basically my only friend, Peaches. Farkle is busy doing drugs and smoking. And I can't fix him back." I put my arm around Riley and she laid her head on my shoulder. I pointed to the sky.

" See that sky?" I asked. Riley nodded and I smiled. " Well, beyond the sky, there are stars. And beyond the stars, there's Heaven, obviously. We're in the stars, Riley. And some of those stars will change and can't be fixed back. I gave up on Farkle. He's a star. Stars can't change, unless they change themselves." I explained.

A single tear went down Riley's cheek. I wiped it away and she sat up. Our faces inches apart. Well, maybe millimeters. I could feel her breathing. We were like that for what felt like hours. Riley must've snapped out of it because she scooted over a little bit. " T....Thank you for t...that, Peaches. I love you," Riley stuttered.

I snapped back to reality. " And I love you," I replied. 

Silence.

All of a sudden, my phone buzzed. I took it out of my pocket and read the text that was sent to me.

Farkle: Stay away from Riley. She wants to fix me now, thanks to you.

Me: Like you're a better influence on her! How about you stay away from me and focus on those one night stands you're always having.

Farkle: I don't do that! My friends do!

Me: Yeah, but soon enough you'll be sleeping around with all the girls. I miss the real Farkle Minkus.

Farkle: Well, you're gonna be missing him for a long time.

I turned off my phone and tried to hold back tears. Riley scooted back closer to me. " What happened? Was it Farkle? He's basically the only one that makes you cry," She said. Riley knows me too well. I nodded and laid my head on her shoulder.

" He....He wants me to s....stay away from from you," I stuttered, letting a single tear fall down my face. Riley wiped it away and I sat up. She gently grabbed my chin and turned my head so I could face her.

" We're in the stars, Maya. Don't let anyone get to you. We're too high for them to reach."

.......................................................................................................................................................................

TBC

I'm really proud of this chapter. It really made up for last chapter. Inspiration struck me so I'm going to update this much more. I also have a list of chapter names. Here's a sneak peek:

Chapter 6: Farkle Minkus

Chapter 7: Millimeters

Chapter 8: Water

Chapter 9: Drama and Rumors

Chapter 10: Spring Break Pt. 1

Yeah, this story is gonna get good. All this sugary and bubbly stuff is gonna leave soon by Chapter 7. I HAVE SAID ENOUGH! STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!