ZERO

• ZERO •

IF SONIA rolls her eyes one more time, they just might pop out of their sockets. Ironically, this is the only way she can keep her eyes open through Miss Campbell's endless droning on about some symbolism that is truly reaching. Something to do with poisons and daggers. She really isn't bothered by it.

Sonia isn't bothered by any of this, for that matter. William Shakespeare is yet to evoke any emotion from her other than plain apathy. For weeks she's endured all the thou's and doth's in this play, and the only time she maybe kind of listened was when Juliet went "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" because that's just something one has to do when discussing Romeo and Juliet.

She only barely tunes in now, noticing the rustling of ancient pages from those seated around her. It's a huge relief to her when her eyes land on the final lines of the final scene of the final act of this play, and she only barely contains the smile that's threatening to overtake the straight line that is her mouth.

Miss Campbell circles the room, her long fingers grazing the shoulders of her students. Sonia jumps as the woman's nails dig into her scapula. "Sonia," she says sweetly, her delicate tone a stark contrast to her youngish face, "would you like to read the last line?"

Sonia kind of wants to reply that she really, really doesn't, though she's sure that isn't going to go down well. Sighing, she rises and clears her throat. "For never was a story of greater woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

The teacher's eyebrow shoots up. "Could you maybe read that with more...passion?"

A snort escapes from Leo, seated in front of Sonia. She kicks the back of Leo's chair, and the latter shoots her a dirty look, a smirk still playing on her lips.

Sonia rolls her eyes. They don't pop out of their sockets. Making sure this time to charge her voice with sheer anguish (which really, is what she has been experiencing anyway), "For never was a story of greater woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo!"

"Yes," Miss Campbell says, contented. "The perfect line to conclude the renowned play! Short, sweet, straight to the point. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why William Shakespeare was a genius."

"Genius. Right," Sonia mutters to herself as she sits down. Leo glances back at her, face full of mischief and freckles.

"Now that our discussion of Romeo and Juliet is over, sadly, I have a special announcement to make! Quiet, everyone!" Miss Campbell claps twice, and like trained dogs, the murmuring in the classroom stops. Dogs. A dog of that house shall move me to take a stand. Sonia may not have read the play but somehow her brain has retained the most mundane of Romeo and Juliet quotes from Miss Campbell's discussions. God.

Her lipsticked mouth parts, but before Miss Campbell can say anything, the lunch bell rings. Immediately, students shoot up from their seats but she isn't fazed. "Romeo and Juliet will be our winter play! That's the announcement! I'll tell you all when auditions are, but — oh, okay, half of you are gone."

"It's Fried Chicken Friday!" some freshman squeals from just outside the door.

Shaking her head, Miss Campbell paces back up to her desk and hides her growing smile behind the curtain of her dark braided hair. Soon enough, the classroom empties, and all Sonia can hear is announcement, winter play, Romeo and Juliet, auditions, Romeo and fucking Juliet. Eventually, she is the only one left in her seat, her veins pulsing. Leo is stood before her, a frown painted onto her boyish features.