Bonding

Sans and Toriel were of the punny type. It was pretty unsurprising, after their first official meeting. They had automatically shared in their pun interests, and had found they had conversed many times before. To both of them, it was like they had found a missing piece, a friend they had lost, and, better yet, they would be going to the Surface together, with Frisk and their other friends.

Upon arriving on the Surface, it was quickly noted that, after the arrival of Monsters was calmed by Frisk, they would need to stick together, the Monsters. After a few months, Toriel secured a rather large living arrangement for herself, Frisk, Flowey, Sans, and Papyrus. Most of the other Monsters had grouped up as they desire and were scattered across the Surface as they were slowly accepted into society.

The friendship solidified quickly between the Goat and Skeleton. Sans (and Papyrus) had taken on an Uncle-like role for Frisk, although it was, for Sans, very nearly a fatherly role - many times had Frisk caught themselves thinking of Sans as their father, as they did Toriel as their mother, simply because he was always there for them. There had been a few times they had nearly called them "Dad", as well, a slip up easy to make when so used to calling Toriel "Mom". In any case, Sans had certainly exceeded expectations as a partial caretaker. Toriel had become a teacher, of course, teaching Monster History in school, Papyrus had become a chef (of sorts) in a small restaurant, and - though he did not live with them, he did have the tendency to watch over Frisk - Asgore gardened at the school and around the neighborhood. This left Sans to watch Frisk when they weren't at school, as Toriel often was busy grading and such, the others equally busy with other necessary tasks.

Sans, at first, worried that it would be difficult, that he would mess it up. What if Frisk fell down the stairs, or off the swing in the backyard, or out of a tree, or- oh, stars- the balcony? However, watching the young child, especially as they grew older, proved to be very easy; they were often more than content to just watch television with him, having the tendency to snuggle close to him, as if stuffing themselves in his jacket, smiling happily. Some nights they would have to ask for help on homework - thankfully in the Math or Science areas, which Sans excelled at. Even though he tended to pretend he didn't get it, this made it so that Frisk learned on their own. There had been few times when anything bad had happened, and even when Frisk got hurt or something alike, there was never any issue from it, always set right with comforting words.

Sans had only ever watched Frisk for a few hours at a time, though, so when Toriel announced she would be leaving for the weekend, Sans' soul gave a flip of anxiety. His unwavering grin revealed nothing as he reassured her that Frisk would be in good S-ands , which caused the monster to laugh, comforted. He waved goodbye to her as she drove away.

Stars. What was he supposed to do?

He remained on the porch, mulling over the situation. He had never had to watch Frisk for nearly this long. Papyrus was staying with Undyne and Alphys for the weekend, as well, so it was just himself and Frisk, as he didn't really count the potted plant monster - all he did was sleep and insult Sans when Frisk wasn't in earshot. He let out a sigh; he promised Tori he'd do this, so do it he would.

It was so easy.

The child, now almost twelve, was happy to do just about anything. For the rest of that first day, they watched television, and, despite Tori's usual restriction on eating out, Sans took Frisk out to Grillby's dive in-town. Frisk, giggling, had promised not to tell. When they returned after dinner, it was a simple task getting them ready for bed.

Getting Frisk into bed, though. That was another story.

In fact, as Sans watched Frisk imitate a rock on the couch, he realised he had never seen Tori put the kid to bed; he was usually in bed himself by that point, or out with Papyrus doing something, or, well, not there. Now he realised that this wasn't very good; he had no clue how to get them to bed, without using his being cross or forcing them with his magic, neither of which Tori would approve of, he was sure.