Chapter 7: Millimeters

They'll see it written in the stars

We were here

We were here.......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Time skip, Friday, after school~

I walked into me and Riley's room and fell back on my bed. Everything was so.....hard. I got up and dropped my backpack by the door. Riley suddenly came in, looking exhausted.

" Riley, you look horrible! What happened?" I said, putting my arm around her. We sat down at the bay window. Riley finally looked up at me. It looked like she was crying for a while.

" Everything happened, Peaches! Farkle happened. Lucas especially happened. He's messing with my feelings but I'm done. I'm so sure I don't like him anymore. He's just.....too much to handle! Ugh, school is a living hell," Riley complained, then laid her head on my lap.

I ran my hand through her soft, super soft hair. " Hey, it's high school. What'd you expect? Rainbows and sunshine?" I remarked. Riley faintly giggled. "Well, since we're being honest here, yeah, I kind of did."

I fiddled with my fingers. Ever since that ' moment ' between me and Riley, I was acting weird around her. I really wanted to talk about it, but things are just better left unsaid.( ARI!!!!!!!!)

Mrs. Matthews suddenly came into our room. Riley reluctantly sat up when she came in. " Oh, hey girls. Just checking up on you," She said, leaning against the wall.

I gave her a greeting smile then Riley stood up. " Mom, how about you get started on those cupcakes for the bake sale? Maya and I will be down in a few minutes to help you," Riley said, rushingly. Mrs. Matthews gave Riley a look then went downstairs.

I crossed my arms and stood up. "What was that?" I asked, a little mad. Riley just shrugged, pursing her pink painted lips. " It depends on what you're talking about," She muttered.

I rolled my eyes. " You know what I'm talking about. Is there something going on that you need to tell me? I know you're a bad liar, Riley." Riley pushed me on to her bed and slowly paced around the room, lacing and unlacing her fingers together. I noticed it was a habit of hers.

" Everything is wrong with my life right about now. But you, you're the only thing not wrong. Maya, I love you. And, I don't regret that day when I kept you from getting arrested. I felt like I've known you since the start of  time, and I needed you. No matter what happens, we'll always be best friends. You and me forever," Riley said.

I got up from Riley's bed and stood in front of her. " I love you too, Riley. No more stuttering," I said, truthfully. Riley giggled softly.

Riley slowly intertwined our fingers together. I walked up closer to her. Millimeters. Millimeters were between our faces.

" Maya......" Riley breathed, digging into her bottom lip. My eyes fluttered to her lips for a millisecond. Soft, pink lips......

" GIRLS! ARE YOU COMING TO HELP OR NOT?"

Riley and I got startled. So startled that our lips slightly brushed against each other. Riley quickly backed away from me and blushed. I bit my lip and yelled back to Mrs. Matthews, " WE'RE  COMING!"

Riley opened up her mouth as if to say something, but I grabbed her hand and gave her a look before she could say anything. We went down the stairs, like in slow motion. Riley's eyes looked like they fluttered down to our hands, but it was too close to call.

All we had to do was frost the cupcakes since Mrs. Matthews already made them. It was an easy job, so Riley and I got done quickly. 

" Maya, how about we go to the mall? You did say you need new clothes, didn't you?" Riley said, fairly loudly. I just shrugged.

" Have fun, guys! Remember, you need to be home by ten!" Mrs. Matthews said. I gave her a hug goodbye then put my black leather jacket over my white crop top. Then Riley and I went to the subway station.

~ At the mall ~

Riley didn't talk to me at all until we got to the mall. At the food court, almost everybody at school was there. Well, just the ' cool kids'.

Riley pulled me behind one of the small, fake palm trees. " Lucas is there! What do I do, Maya? I'm freaking out!" Riley quietly freaked out. I sighed.

I guess everything that happened between us meant nothing to her. But it was set in stone that me and Riley will be best friends no matter what happens between us. And that's happening right now. I just had to be her best friend.

" Calm down. Didn't you say you were over him? If he notices you, just say a casual ' hello ' then walk away! You'll be okay, Riley," I told her. Riley nodded then wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me. A platonic friendship.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and hugged her back. This time, I pulled away then we went in the food court area. You'd think Lucas would call Riley's name. But, instead, he called mine.

" Maya!"

Riley frowned. I gave her an assuring look then ran over to Lucas. " Hey, Huckleberry. Quick question: Why is literally everyone here?" I asked, resting my hand on the table.

" It's just some get together some popular kid threw. You know everyone comes when a popular hosts it. Quick question for you: Can you help me? It's girl trouble, and you're a girl, so yeah," Lucas said.

I just shrugged then Lucas pulled me behind the same fake palm tree. " I'm having a problem with Riley. First I say I'm not sure my feelings. Then she completely ignores me and you hang out with her more. God, if that kiss didn't happen, then none of this would've happened," Lucas quietly complained. I let out an exasperated sigh.

" Oh my God. You know what, Lucas? I'm sick of being stuck in between you and Riley. How about you guys actually talk to each other? Since you're having this much problems, I can tell the relationship won't work. You're better off as friends. But that's just me. If you want to have another chance Riley, then go to her," I explained.

All of a sudden, Lucas picked me up and hugged me tightly. Wow. Him and Riley are both right huggers. Lucas kissed my forehead then put me down.

" Wow, you and Riley have a lot in common. Both tight huggers, both too extra, both....." Lucas interrupted me by rolling his eyes. " Let's just go already," Lucas said, then grabbed my arm.

Even with all of this happening, all I could think about was millimeters.
...............................................

TBC!

Okay, I literally wrote this whole thing on my IPod. I have a theory! It takes longer for me to write a chapter on the computer than on my IPod. So quicker chapters are coming near you! Anyways, I told you the sugary stuff disappeared. However, I really thought this chapter sucked but whatever. STAY TUNED!!!!!!