COOKIE DAY

No one's p.o.v

Over the years Cookie grew to hate birthdays. For her it was just another reminder of how long she's spent her life locked away. How much time she spent away from her family, time away from the outside world and time away from life. It wasn't always like that. Before she went away, she looked forward to her birthday, handwritten cards from her babies, a song or two from Lucious- followed by some mind-blowing sex. It was one of her favorite holidays. But, after spending 17 years locked up with the worst of them, her birthday only reminded her how much older she was getting, being away from who and what she loved.

So when she walked into Empire on the crisp November morning she wasn't expecting anything. She wanted to get through the day without a reminder or mention of what the day was. When she got to her office she was met with a single cup of coffee sitting on her desk, as she approached she picked it up with careful trepidation. She turned the cup in her hands as she read the side of the cup; Happy Birthday Cookie! - P. Of course Porsha knew, the girl was so damn nosey. Hopefully, she could keep the information to her damn self and not make a show out of it. She shed her coat and was preparing to sit down when she heard a faint knock on the door.

"Ms. Lyon?"

"Oh hey Malcolm. What's up?"

"I just wanted to let you know the security team will be over today to install the cameras, is there a time you prefer? We could do it this afternoon or wait till you're around this evening?"

"I don't know if I can trust you." She smiled.

"I'll personally see to it that your home is safe, I'll even stick around and show you how it works." He winked at her.

She laughed. "This afternoon is fine. " She reached into her pocket pulling out a key handing it to him. "If you steal anything, I willkill you." She deadpanned.

"Yes ma'am." He mock saluted her with a smile, and turned to leave. "Oh, and Ms. Lyon," Cookie lifted her head up to look at him, "Happy Birthday." Cookie's mouth dropped open as he walked out her office, he knew too? Who else in the damn office knew?

She got her answer as she breezed through the day with ease. No one had mentioned it; minus the text Jamal sent offering to take her out for dinner on Friday. She got a phone call from Carol singing an out of tune version of The Birthday Song and a text message from Puma that made her blush. That man would nevergive up.

Other than that no one said a word. There was one person she was banking on remembering though, and while it shouldn't have, it was bothering her that he hadn't said a thing. They had two meeting together, passed each other at least 6 times in the hallway and even shared small talk in the elevator and not one word. What made it especially frustrating was the not so simple fact that they were still fucking, even after she made the point of "no nookie" until he dropped Anika. Yet, here she was three weeks later still messing around with an engaged man. Though on her part, she told Lucious its not cheating because "they were married once." So of course he couldn't mention that it was Cookie's birthday, if he did Anika would know and when he tried to give her the old "I'm working late tonight" line she wouldn't believe him. At least that's what she told herself.

So imagine her surprise when she strolled into her office in the late afternoon to see a huge box on her desk. She looked around and closed to door so no one could see. It was wrapped in a deep maroon and she couldn't wait to tear it apart. When she opened it she was met with 4 other packages. The first; a Chanel bag she'd been dying to have. The second; a simple black pair of Christian Louboutin pumps. The third; an overly expensive cheetah bra and thong from La Pearla. The fourth; a maroon Hervé Léger bandage knit dress. At the bottom of the huge box a card was tapped to the bottom she snacked it off with a smile, already knowing who it was from. Here's to not looking a day over 25. Wear this and meet me at 6:30 pm at the address below. Don't be late. I'll know if you're not wearing the underwear. Lucious. She looked at her watch as it read 5 o'clock she had an hour to get home get ready and head out she welcomed the challenge, texting Malcolm on her way to let him know they'd have to reschedule her security plans. She arrived at the restaurant promptly at 6:30 and was surprised to find she was the only one there. On sight waiters had taken her coat, had a glass of champagne in her hand and led her to the small table in the center. There was a glow from the candlelight that was in the centerpiece and rose petals scattered all about. It was absolutely cheesy and she loved every bit of it.