Isla

Call this a one shot, a short story, whatever you want but this is it. Enjoy :)

**********************************************************************

This was their first ever serious fight he thought. Usually it was a minor disagreement, like which superhero was better. This time however, it was almost borderline hysteria.

"Please just tell me what is going on Isla!" he yelled. 

"You shouldn't be sticking your long nose into my business Eli!" shouted Isla, her hands emphasising her point as she pointed to herself.

"Are you tired of our friendship?" he asked accusingly, glaring at her through his pale blue eyes.

"No it's not-" She was cut off.

"Then what is it? What is it that you are willing to risk our friendship for?" Eli cried, his voice nearing a scream.

"I can't tell you. I can't. Leave it alone. Please." Isla's voice was suddenly a hoarse whisper, her head now lowered.

Eli didn't notice.

"No! Isla Wilkson you tell me what is wrong right now!" 

"Fine! You want to know what's wrong?" she snapped, her light hazel eyes blazing as she whipped her head up to look at him.

His world spun as she told him. Everything came rushing from the inner depths from his mind in flashbacks.

*

"Hey May, do you know why Isla's not here today?" Eli asked the missing girl's other best friend.

May shook her head, short, jagged brown hair flicking around her face.

"No, I don't. She normally calls you if she's sick doesn't she?" the girl replied.

 "Yeah but she's been away for almost the whole week. She would've have called by now," Eli thought aloud worriedly.

"Don't worry," May smiled at him reassurringly.

 Eli hummed still not at ease.

He went to see Isla after school to check on her. Her dad answered the door with a tired face.

"Oh, hi Tim. I was wondering if I could see Isla. I'm just worried since she hasn't been at school this week," asked Eli.

"Don't worry, you have nothing to fret about. She was just...uh...visiting her grandparents because...um...her  grandmother was ill," spoke Isla's father in a hurried manner. "She got back today so come on in and you can see her."

"Thanks," grinned Eli entering the house.

His grin faded as Isla shuffled into the living room, her face and eyes red as though from crying.

He rushed over to her.

"What's wrong?" Eli asked quickly trying to determine what made Isla upset. Isla never cried.

"Oh it's nothing, I just poked myself in my eye by accident," she said, her head turned away. 

There a few moments silence. Then she faced back to him and asked, 

"Now then, tell me what I've missed at school"

*

"Come on Isla, please come with May and I!" pleaded Eli.

"I'm really sorry guys but I have plans. Maybe next week?" murmured Isla guiltily looking at him through her dark brown hair.

"You've said that for the last month and a bit. Friday movie night is a tradition!" cried Eli.

"Eli, calm down. I'm sure Isla has good reasons and you know they must be important for her to choose them over our movie night," said May.

"I guess, but still," he grumbled.

Isla's face wore a tired expression but she still smiled at Eli. 

"I'll make it up to you. I promise."

*

Eli was now angry. Days had gone by yet Isla wasn't at school and wasn't contacting him, let alone returning his attempts. He tried to go see her but her parents would always say she was out. Eli roughly ran his hand over his shaggy light brown hair and made up his mind. He would go see Isla. He waited until he knew her parents would be out. He walked into her house  and looked around until he found her in the kitchen, making a drink. Baggy pajamas hung on her thin frame and there were dark circles under her eyes that were wide with surprise. She yelled at him to leave, sparking the fight that they just had.

*

Everything was blurry. Her voice echoed through his head. Her sad, gaunt face would be forever seared into his memory as she said three words.

Those three words.

"I have cancer...

*********************************************************

Another cancer one I know but the topic has been on my mind lately as I boil my hatred for it.

Cancer is a bia-t-ch!!!!!