The New Kid

AU-MODERN

__________________________________________________________________

There had been a lot of hype in my school recently about this new kid joining the school, he was supposed to start today. A few rumours had been going around about him getting kicked out of his old school for murdering someone!! I'm not sure whether to believe that or not but if it's true......I wonder what his story is. 

"Eren, we're gonna be late for school." Mikasa said softly. 

"Yeah, Yeah." I said yawning and stretching my arms out. I quickly got up and brushed my teeth with a wince. Toothpaste was not my most favourite thing in the world however of course I still used it; I'm not disgusting!! Eventually, I was dressed and I began to slip my shoes on. 

"Eren, you haven't had any breakfast." Mikasa said with a concerned look. She was always so worried about me even though I'm older than her. I sighed at her and ran to the kitchen, grabbing a packet of chips. 

"Eren you can't eat those for breakfast!" She shouted at me. 

"Just watch me." I said, opening the packet and dropping a chip into my mouth. "mm nutritious" I smirked. She clicked her tongue at me and stormed out of the door. I shrugged it off and finished putting my shoes on and then exited the door, making sure to lock it up. Mikasa was there waiting for me. 

"Oh, so you did  wait" I teased. She continued walking and I followed. We walked in silence for a bit but suddenly she said to me:

"Eren, can you promise me something?" 

"Hm? Depends what it is." I replied. 

"Do not go anywhere near the new kid, okay?" She demanded. The rumours must have been getting to her. I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to go near him anyway but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to just avoid him. 

"Mikasa, the rumours aren't even-" 

"Promise." She said, directly staring in to my eyes. I rubbed the back of my neck.

"jeez Mikasa, you worry too much." She narrowed her eyes at me, "i-it's not like I'd want to go up to him anyway!!" She seemed to sigh with what.. relief? irritation? Perhaps both. 

After about 10 minutes we arrived at school. She followed me to my locker as I opened it to get the things I needed for today.

"Remember our promise." She was sure set on me not making any sort of contact with this new guy. Hm... I wonder.

"Yeah. I know. You don't have to worry all the time." I smiled, "besides I am a year older than you, shouldn't I be the one worrying?" 

"It's because you know I don't need protecting.." She pointed out, with a frown. She was right. As soft as her voice was, she was as tough as rock. Scariest girl in the school, I'd say. Everyone was terrified of her. Anyway, the bell went and she hurried off to her home room. I did the same. I sat right at the back of the classroom by the window I liked it because I got to stare outside the window and not do the work. Armin sat next to me but he didn't talk to me much any more. Ever since we left middle school he had been so wrapped up in studying he seemed to have almost forgotten me. It hurt a bit at times but I'd still always be there for him..

"now, now. Quieten down." Our teacher said, interrupting everyone's chatting and my inner conversation with my lonely self. Sad. "We have a new student today, I'm sure you've all heard... and he will be joining our class." Perfect. Mikasa makes me promise to not go near him yet he has to join our class. I guess there was no helping it. Everyone was whispering and they seemed kind of scared. "Be quiet and greet our new classmate with respect. Come in, Levi Ackerman." Levi huh.