Chapter 1

READ THE DESCRIPTION FIRST PLEASE

-2 years later-

I woke up to someone banging on my door. I jumped up. I grabbed my gun. I held it up, and pointed it towards the door. I walked to the door. I opened it. It was Nathan. He was my neighbor. I put my gun down. He said "You've slept in late. I checked to make sure you were okay".

I said "I'm fine, Nate".

He said "Well you did drink a lot last night".

I said "I know. I wasn't going to have that much, but I thought it would drown out the pain".

He said "Do you want to talk"?

I said "No, I'm good".

He said "Are you sure"? I nodded. He said "Alright. I'll leave you be".

I said "Thanks for checking on me. You don't have to though".

He said "Miles asked me nicely to make sure you were okay. If you even get a scratch on you I will die".

I said "You don't have to though. I can take care of myself".

He said "I know". He smiled. He walked away. He walked to his house. I lived in my own house. I slept on the couch though. I'm not used to sleeping on a bed. I'm not about to start now. I shut my door. I walked upstairs to my room.

I only used it for my things. I took some clothes out. I put on skinny jeans, a tank top, and leather boots. I walked in the bathroom. I brushed my hair. Then I walked out. I put on a leather jacket. I put my belt on. Then I put my gun in my holster. I grabbed my crossbow and arrows.

I slung them around my shoulder. I walked out of my house. My house was a couple minutes of horseback riding from the town. I walked out to my barn. I brushed my only horse. She was an Arabian. She was a great racer. I sometimes race people. I bought her from a trader for really cheap. I tacked her up.

Then I got on her. I raced to town. Then I slowed her down once we got to the sheriff's office. I put her in the barn. I untacked her. I fed her and gave her water. Then I walked in the sheriff's office. Nate was sitting at his desk. He was the deputy. He smiled.

He said "Hey Sheriff". I smiled. The people here trusted me. They wanted me to be their sheriff. I declined at first. Then Miles and Bass left. We got attacked by a wild animal. I killed it quickly. They needed a sheriff, so I'm their new sheriff. Nate is the best fighter besides me that is still in Willoughby.

He's also a really great friend. I smiled. I said "Hey Deputy". Linda (one of the townspeople) walked in. She looked sick. I put my arm on her shoulder. I said "What's wrong"?

She said "My son, David, he's been gone for a while now. He went out hunting for a deer. I think something happened to him".

I said "How long has he been missing"?

She said "A couple of days. He does do that sometimes, but it's never been this long. My family are hungry".

I said "I'll look for him. Nate could you spare some food? I haven't went hunting for a week too. I ate all mine last night".

He said "That would be fine".

I said "You stay here and handle the town. I shouldn't be gone long. If you really need me send your dog. He'll get to me quickly". Nate nodded.

Linda said "Thank you, Charlie".

I said "Your welcome, Linda. I'll go now. Just go with Nate to get some food for your family. I'll find your son. I promise. Is he on foot"? She nodded.