Chapter 1

7:30 am

I push open the large glass doors leading to Director Greyson's office.

"You wanted to see me, Tony." I say as I approach his desk.

"Director Greyson" he corrects me.

With the press of a button all of the Windows darken and I hear the hiss of the doors sealing shut.

"I have a mission for you" he continues ignoring my eye roll after his correction "sit down"

"What is it?" I sit down in large black chair across from the director  in his office chair.

"We have received intel on a small terrorist group that is planning an attack on u.s. soil" His dark blue eyes stare intensely "All we know is that they are located in Afghanistan and they plan on attacking soon. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to locate their headquarters and shut them down."

" I'll do it" I reply without hesitation. I've never been one to decline a mission because of the danger and I'm not going to start now.

"Please think about it carefully, Sloan" he says pleadingly "this is a very dangerous mission".

" why does it sound like you don't want me to go?"

"It's just" he pauses " I don't want to lose you like your parents"

My eyes drop to the floor as I flashback to 6 years ago. I still remember the pain I felt when Tony told me that both of my parents had been killed on a mission in the Middle East. I was 18 and had just started training with the CIA. Ever since that day Tony has been like a father to me.

" you need to be sure you're ready" he says, snapping me out of it.

"I am" I assure him "I want to go"

he sighs " your flight to Baghdad leaves at 22:00"

As I stand to leave he quickly stops me.

"There is one more thing"

I turn to look at him.

" you have a Partner"

"Excuse me?"  Since when do I need a partner?

"His name is Jaxon Davis. He is highly tra-"

"No. I work alone" I interrupt.

"It's too dangerous" he insists "Either you go with him or you don't go at all."

"Fine"

I clench my jaw and pull open the glass door which is clear again. As I turn the corner I slam into someone. I look up to see bright blue eyes staring down at me. I open my mouth to say sorry.

"Agent Williams right?" He interrupts.

How does he know who am? Who is he? Noticing my confusion he adds.

"I'm Jaxon"