MICHAEL

Michael was heartbroken after his break up with Laura. He was thinking how people always went back on their promises. Their dreams to build a castle and live a happy life were shattered. Laura had taken all his happiness away with her when she had left him. His heart had fallen out if it's place. It had been two weeks after their break up and Michael was sure that his heart wasn't going to mend anytime soon. So he stood outside his garden, mowing the lawn trying to keep his mind off Laura.

Nick's birthday was to be held on Saturday, two days away from Thursday. Nick was Michael's best friend since kindergarten and it was Nick's 22nd birthday on Saturday the 16th of April. Laura was invited too and Michael was in no mood to see Laura for the rest of his life.

He knew that she wasn't even sad after their break up and she probably didn't give a damaging  about how he felt right now. But Michael had no choice, he had to go to the party because Nick was his best friend and he was not going to stay away from celebrating his buddy's birthday because of something a stupid, heartless girl had done.

Michael was in his final year at Yale studying law. He was one of the best students in college, taking part in every debate and endlessly winning all. He was also the student president and would graduate in September and become a very successful lawyer.

Because of the great boredom that overtook him he went back inside his house and took a can of peaches out of the kitchen cupboard. He went to the basement and switched on the TV and flicked the channels lazily while popping juicy peach slices into his mouth. He switched off the TV and took a book off the mahogany table beside the sofa. He slowly turned the pages reading words that seemed a blur to him. Finally, his eyelids drooped down slowly and sleep came to him.

The evening light fell upon his room and moonbeams shone through his curtains. The chilly air blew against his windows. Raindrops slowly slid down the glass windows and created mist upon them. Dreams came to him. He dreamt of Laura. Her soft brown hair, her long fingers and her smooth kisses which made him first fall in love. Her eyes were a light brown and were full of happiness. She was a person who was never sad, never accepted reality but she was also fake. Flirting with lies and broken promises, that was Laura. He woke with a sudden pang in his heart, knowing that Laura was his no longer, but eventually drifted back to sleep again.